1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add a rib opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I am thinking aboutt giving an addarib a try. I was curious what others who have done this think. My thought though it may be flawed is that I am a one eyed shooter and have a very droppy eyelid. I was thinking that with an addarib my head would be more vertical and I would have a better field of view. I would just liket o hear what others who have used this product think and were your results good or bad.
    Thanks,

Jim Bradbury

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

DO you currently close your left eye or use tape? I found when I used to close my left eye, it make my right eye squint ever-so-slightly.

3. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I currently close my left eye. I tried tape and could not get used to it and just went back to closing my left eye

4. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Jim,
    My rib should be here today or tommorrow. I have an L shaped bracket on my current rib that blocks my left eye from seeing the bead. I think it's called the sight blinder. It works well and I plan on using it on my high rib. The only thing about the blinder is I could not make the tape work to hold it so I used Rtv silicon.
    Jimmy

5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

How do you decide on the height to order?
    Perhaps there's a calculation.

Larry

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It supposedly is impossible for a human to close one eye without the other closing slightly as well. I say SUPPOSEDLY impossible because Nora Ross can close one without the other eyelid moving at all, but she's an exception. For that reason, it's worth the short amount of time it takes to become accustomed to having one lens taped. And as I learned the hard way, you have to be sure you have enough tape on your lens. Two rows all the way across the lens - any less and you'll subconsciously find a way to peek around it.

The tape that comes with the Sight Blinder is good for one application, period. Mine hold great as long as I don't try to adjust the positioning at all - if I do, the Blinder falls off.

I've never tried a so-called "high-rib" gun and one of the reasons why is that I've been told by several people who should know what they're talking about that one-eyed shooters often cannot shoot a high rib with consistency.

Ed

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There is no formula, or for that matter, optimum rib height, in adding one of the "add on ribs" The correct rib height is what works best for the individual. Although I have not run into anyone who has had problems with rib
    height due to shooting with one eye closed, it is a possibility you would need to look into. The best way I have found to determine if raising the rib is right for you, and if so, what height you should raise it, is by trial and error using a strip of balsa wood. Buy a sheet of balsa long enough and thick enough to fit on your existing rib. Cut various height strips from this sheet (say, 5/16 inch, 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch, and/or any other height you want to try. Paint the balsa strips black and tape them temporarily to your rib/gun with black electrical tape (or similar) If you want a bit, cut one those straight pins with a large plastic head and put that on the balsa rib. Try each height to determine which, if any, works best for you and gives you what you are looking for in raising the rib, whether a more upright head position, better target visibility, etc. In this way, you can determine if raising the rib works for you at very low cost and then you can order a rib of whatever height you determined is best for you based upon your own tests and knowledge. Saves a lot of aggravation, and possibly money in the long run.

Jim R

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Exactly what jimrich60 said. I have all Citori's and because of the way my face is shaped they all shoot high for me. I have put high ribs on every one to get them shooting where I'm looking, with great success. I just added about 5/8" to the Citori Trap Gyrine just sold me. I wanted to use it for sporting but it shot 100% high for me. The 5/8 rib was just enough to make it shoot 50/50 and I just Tue shot two 25 target sporting with it on a difficult course and was high gun both times by 2 birds. The gun worked very well for me with the add on rib, as they all have.

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Guys, I appreciate everyones input.My thinking is that if I get my head more upright I will be able to see the targets better. After reading Ed'spost above I noticed that when I close my left eye I seem to open my right eye more.Could be just because of Ed's responce I was paying more attention to it.I shoot a Citori for doubles and some times single and a KS-5 Special for handicap and singles when I do not shoot the Citori. I plan on stopping at Home Depot on the way home tonight. Thansk everyone.
    Jim B.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Remember, when you add a raised rib, in order to maintain the same the POI as you currently have, you have to raise the comb by the same amount. If you just raise the rib without comb adjustments, you will be lowering the POI significantly (how much depends on how much you raise the rib). Getting your head into a more upright position not only allows for a better view of the target for many, but it also reduces neck strain and overall fatigue for many and thus can contribute to more consistent shooting over the long run. Just one of the benefits for those who can shoot the raised rib gun. I became a strong advocate of raised ribs when I tried them and found out the above benefits really did help me a lot.

Jim R

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim B. Jim R. is correct. You will need to raise your comb up the same amounts. This may include having to install longer posts on your comb. I find if you want a more heads up approach in your shooting, install a adjustable butt plate and lower away. This will raise your gun up to your head. This will not change your POI and you will not have to install a adj. comb or longer posts. It will bring your gun up to your head instead of lowering your head to the gun. Id try this first before buying a add on rib. Break-em all. Jeff

12. sagedog

sagedog TS Member

I used add-a-rib for my rib choice to due exactly what I think you want to do. I installed one on my tm1 and it worked out just the way I wanted. I used balso wood strips and raised my comb until I got the highth I wanted and a 70 30 pattern which is what my eyes see naturally. I measured the balso wood rib and sent the measurements to add-a-rib and they sent me a rib. I am left eye dominat and shoot with both eyes open it took awhile messing with the gun but it is dialed in. I have a face similar to yours every gun I purchased I sat high in the gun. I also found out that when I tried lowering my comb to get the right sight picture I had problems staying in my gun. My tm1 is perfect and now I in the same process with my citori which I use for doubles and five station or sporting. This will take more work for the versatility I need but it can be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding a raised comb

citori trap with addarib

raise comb with addarib