1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Add A Rib" High Rib addition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I was looking to add a high rib to my Beretta 682. Looked at the “Add A Rib” product but, I am real hesitant about taping something to my gun. Does this product hold up over time? Weather conditions heat, moisture, etc. I would hate to swing my gun around and have it drop off. If some one out there has one and it is holding up. Or if you had to permanently attached this type of rib, let me know how you did it. Or should it be done? Thanks for your input

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have of these on my gun. I know the guy who makes these and my stockfitter has them on his guns too and installs his recoil systems and comb hardware.

What you need to do is thoughorly clean your rib with acetone so the double sided tape gets a good stick. Besides that you do have to add the front sight.

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I shot with a gentleman on Sunday who had them installed on his Browning combo set. He shot his round of doubles then put on the unsingle barrel and started the singles. It fell off. He put the double barrel set back on, to finish the round and that fell off. The tape stuck, but in some places it pealed off the finish from the rib underneath. He finished that trap without the rib and shot a "0" on one post. Luckily he had another gun along to shoot the caps. The temp when we started shooting was in the 20's but warmed up to the mid thirties when the failures occurred. Based on that experience I don't believe I'd consider gluing a rib on a trap gun and entering a competition. The ribs were installed by the manufacturer.

best...mike

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If the rib fell off, it was a bad install, or bad tape/silicone. I've been using add-on ribs for 5 or 6 years (50-75 thousand targets), and have installed them on a half dozen other guns, and have yet to have one fall off, or even move slightly.

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Vickie Keen (http://www.keensights.com/) uses tape, but she also utilizes the holes for the beads to screw down the added rib. I have several of her ribs, and I have never had a rib move or come off.

Ted K.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

According to their site, Keen uses silicone.

I've done it both ways. Silicone is gives you a SLIGHTLY better bond, but is more of a pain to apply and remove (if and when you want to take the rib off). Tape is your only option for a strong bond if your using a plastic rib (ABS or delrin/acetal). I use the same tape as Devault, it was over $100 for a large roll. You probably aren't going to get nearly the same results using tape from Walmart.

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I stand corrected; Vicki uses tape only to control the silicone. (http://www.keensights.com/page9.html)

Whatever she uses, it works, and it works quite well. I'm about to have her put a rib on another gun.

Ted K.

8. folothru

folothru Member

i used rtv silicone on my DOVER RIB 3/8 high and never had a problem with it .spend some money and use the rtv from loctite get it at any auto part store ,, preperation is the key!! and clamp it while the rtv is setting up

9. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I have had my keen rib on which I put on myself four years ago with the silicone supplied and has never come loose,let alone fall off.I live in mass. and we have a wide tempature range.

joe

10. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I have a Add A Rib on a Winchester O/U and it has been on there for three years with no problems. The main thing is to make sure that the rib on your gun is cleaned very well. I have shot 5 to 6 thousand rounds through that gun and have had no problems.

Thad

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have a delrin rib that I installed with RTV silicone and it has not moved. It held tightly even when I machined it down a little more after installation to adjust the POI.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

A quick fix is to use some black electrical tape. Wrap it around under the original rib and over the add-on rib on the area that is loose. Usually the ends. You will never know it is there, when shooting. Jon

13. folothru

folothru Member

i used rtv silicone on my DOVER RIB 3/8 high and never had a problem with it .spend some money and use the rtv from loctite get it at any auto part store ,, preperation is the key!! and clamp it while the rtv is setting up

14. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I have had my keen rib on which I put on myself four years ago with the silicone supplied and has never come loose,let alone fall off.I live in mass. and we have a wide tempature range.

joe

15. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I have a Add A Rib on a Winchester O/U and it has been on there for three years with no problems. The main thing is to make sure that the rib on your gun is cleaned very well. I have shot 5 to 6 thousand rounds through that gun and have had no problems.

Thad

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have a delrin rib that I installed with RTV silicone and it has not moved. It held tightly even when I machined it down a little more after installation to adjust the POI.

17. Stl Flyn

A quick fix is to use some black electrical tape. Wrap it around under the original rib and over the add-on rib on the area that is loose. Usually the ends. You will never know it is there, when shooting. Jon

18. running bear

running bear Member

Go to the Auto Suppy and get body molding tape. It will not come off.

Buck

19. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

My experience with the add-a-rib was not the best. I did not have any problem with the rib. I followed the instructions and installed it. rib stayed on very good. I had to work my butt off to remove the rib.The The troubles I had was the taller post that were sent for my comb for the KS-5 were the wrong size. After the third set of post that were not correct. In fact the third set of post I received were the same post that were on my gun before I even considered an add-a-rib. I eventually took the rib off so I could go to a shoot. Received extra tap to re-install the rib from Add-a-rib. The piece that I was sent looked like my 4 year old grand daughter cut it. I was so disgusted that I never put the rib back on the gun. The rib is in the safe, I have two sets of teh wrong post and the horribly cut replacement tape on my reloading bench. I have since sold the gun. If anyone wants a 3/4" add-a-rib for a KS-5 Special with some tape that you will have to trim and some extra post tat are not the correct post. All this at a good price contact me.

Jim Bradbury

20. Stl Flyn

Buck has it right. Try to get an emblem off your vehicle. I had to paint a replacement tailgate for my truck. Trust me, the rib will not fall off. You may never get it off again, but it will not fall off. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.