1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AD & BC dates to be replaced by BCE &CE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by colonel klink, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Seen this on the local St. Louis news last week. A school district there is having the text books changed so as to not teach BC & AD on dates in history or current i.e. this is 2009 A.D. The new term will be BCE which means Before Common Era & CE for Common Era. Showed the Board meeting & folks were not happy. More of this PC stuff. I just wonder if this is happening anywhere else. Colonel

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Whatever they call it, they're still using BC & AD as the reference points and will have to explain that to students. It ain't broke so don't fix it.

Eric

3. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

They've been making this move for about the last decade. I don't like it but for the longest time before I looked up the meaning of CE and BCE I assumed it to mean Christian Era and Before Christian Era. Still regardless of one's beliefs they should know the historic event that precipitated the change from BC to AD. All political correctness does is obfuscate meanings and origins creating a dumber society for the sake of a thin-skinned "oppressed" group. If I lived in Saudi Arabia I'd have to use the Muslim calendar.

James Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.