1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ACUI Collegiate Nationals - POOR SCORING SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Greenhead Fever, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenhead Fever

Greenhead Fever TS Member

Apr 21, 2006
    What is everyone's opinion on the new scoring system for the ACUI College Nationals???

I commend the ACUI for making an effort to try and even the playing field for the many colleges that attend this event. As a past participant in this event it is a great opportunity for college shooters to participate in a great venue of targets as well as meet many great friends! Unfortunately, I think they have missed the bulls-eye with their attempt to create a level playing field.

It is my observation that the HOA was figured by adding the number of points earned by individuals on the the team in each of the target venues. Therefore, points for Division 2 and 3 teams were up against the schools in the Division 1 section. My point is that this really does not give you a division 2 or 3 title winner. In my opinion shooters in divisions should earn points for their perspective division to give you a true division 1, 2, and 3 HOA team.

I also see another potential flaw to this scoring system. KSU, division 2 title winner, had all their points come from one person, Brie Eaton. All of her points came from the women's only competitions. I am by no means trying to be sexist here but I believe that this is not a level playing field either. Brie is a great shooter and I congratulate her on her great shooting at the nationals! I look at a team like FHSU who won American Skeet, International Trap, Five Stand, Sporting Clays and placed 2nd in American Skeet yet still goes home as a runner up in their division...

I think this scoring system needs much improvement. Why not do the simple thing and use the same criteria for separating divisions and award the points on a team basis instead of an individual basis or use the number of broken clays like every other clay target competition I've ever been to uses.

Please post comments!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.