1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Actual distance's where targets are broken

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grammie, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grammie

grammie TS Member

Capt Rick:

The break point for a 27yd shooter in handicap,,is almost the same place where he/she breaks them in 16yd singles!!!

Most AA or better shooters have a break point at between half and 3/4 of a targets rise,,,or about 32 to 37 yds out,,it makes no differance if the target is a straighaway or hard right or left,,,,unless they are attempting to "read" the trap and get surprised,,the break point will remain the same for that shooter,,,even the angles...

As far as choke selections go,,,,you will get 100 differant anwsers!!! But,,,comsider this,,,,,the name of the game is too break every target!!! Isn't that right???? Okay,,,to break the target you must put as much shot on the target as possible,,,,,,some people are satisfied shooting and getting nothing but small chips and targets that break into 4 large pieces,,,,,that kind of break translates into-------only 4 or less pellets hit that target!!! and thats pretty lousy when you consider you just shot 400 at the target!!!

Full choke,,,singles or handicap,,even doubles,,,keep in mind that a "full choke" falls anywhere from .034 all the way to .056,,,and theres quite a differance between those numbers!!!! Get good using full choke,,,and that means your're very accurate!!! No matter what anybody says,,,,"I'd rather be lucky than good" that sort of thing,,,,Bullcrap!!! Make yourself good,,,and the luck falls into place,,,full choke can do that,,,where a modified cannot!!

AKA Grammie....

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rick, distances will vary a lot between all shooters. Some extra quick shooters may break clays 20 to 30 feet out of the trap while slower shooters may ride the target till it begins to fall. A guess for the average might be, 30 to 35 yards for singles. Then add the handicap yardage distances to that number and it will be close for guesswork.

Most new shooters tend to ride clays, some see the clay and pull the trigger, as in a totally out of control shot. I'd start all new shooters with a full choke and (MAY) adjust according to their accuracy/speed.

At our trap at the farm, we used a guy on each side of the trap to mark and later measure actual distances guys shot their clays for an average distance. The only downside to this is, guys tend to shoot a little quicker than normal. To get around that, only measure the actual broken targets to come up with a pretty accurate average for each shooter. Hap

PS, shots measured this way from the 27 will surprise most people also! Longer than most think.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington has a Trapshooting Fundementals booklet which is based on the D. Lee Braun book. It has illustrations showing the flight path of a clay, and the distances for firing (16 yd to 27yd) and the distance from the traphouse when the clay is typically hit. This illustration shows that at 16 yards from the traphouse, the clay is typically shot at 17 yards from the traphouse, total 33 yards. For 27 yards, the clay is typically broken at 20 yards from the traphouse, total 47 yards. Click the link.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brian- Does the chart show what distance I typically miss the birds I do not break?

Pat Ireland

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I break most of my birds inside the house -- when I am loading the trap. Fred

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A computer system I have tells me I break 16 yard target at 32-33 yards. I break 27 yard targets between 39 and 40.5 yards. When I first started using the machine I was breaking 27 yard targets about 44-45 yards out. The machine has improved my reaction time. Take it for what it's worth, but I am faster on the back line, after using the machine. And a much better shooter. But it took a while and a lot of frustration.

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well 410, Please tell about this machine. What is it? How do you use it for training? Can I get one? Regards, Jake

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

The grass breaks most of mine so I don't have to worry about the distance. LOL 410, tell us about your computer system.... inquiring minds want to know.

9. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

tight chokes and dense chokes are two different things, pattern you gun, some chokes work better in different guns. Find the densist pattern and stick with it. Some full chokes are tight in some spots, yet the pattern can still spray.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most singles and handicap targets are broken between 15 & 20 yards out of the house. Add to that the yardage you are standing on.

John C. Saubak

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not know of anyone who has accurately measured the distance that a single shooter typically breaks targets or how much variation there is in the distance most other shooters break targets. I do know there is quite a bit of variation in this distance. I can accurately measure the speed the target is moving when it breaks with my radar gun. With targets leaving the house at 42 MPH, a fast shooter will break them when they have slowed down to around 33-35 MPH. A slow shooter will break them after they have slowed down to 30 MPH.

I suppose with much work, I could connect my radar gun to a strip recorder and get a time component on the recorder and convert speed of the target at any point of its flight to distance but I am not inclined to spend the time and money to accomplish this.

I also believe that all current estimates of target breaking distance that are discussed and published are simply eye ball estimates that may or may not be accurate.

Pat Ireland

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Dryfire computer system. It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the way your shooting. You see them for sale here once in a while. This is where I bought mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
average distance a clay is hit
average distance from trap when targets are broken
how far are clay targets typically broken from the 16
trap shooting average distance to target

what gun has broke the most clay target

what is the distance most clays are broken in trap shooting
whatbis the average distance trapdoubles are broken