1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Action bar on 870 broke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I think my 870 was made in 1972. The left action bar broke the other day and it's getting pretty hard to eject shells now.

Is it true the newer part won't work in the older guns?

I'm looking for one.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Joe.. I know the exp[ress action bars work in the Wingmaster.. you might need a good stone to lap it in.. but it goes in often without a hitch.. Mike

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Joe, mine was made in 1969 and I've had the bars split off from the tube. The only trouble I had was (I'm sure my terminology is wrong) that the "carrier" that the bolt rides on didn't fit the cutouts in the new action bars. Just needed a new carrier.

4. larryjk

larryjk Member

Gee, I have always been told that is why Winchester Model 12s only have one bar; then it doesn't dare break.

5. archangel

archangel Member

joe the new action bar is different then the old ones from the '70s. you may need: the new fore end tube assembly, and a new 870 slide assembly. there are some old fore end tube assemblies around but they are expensive. remington parts can help you, by the way I'll try not to call you dave--mike

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have now broken 3 sets of 12 gauge 870 action bars. The first was due to over 20 years and many tens of thousands of years of use and an action bar broke about 6" from the receiver end. The second was due to not properly resizing federal paper hulls and the third was due to IMO steel rimmed hulls. Each of these were due to broken welds where the action bar attaches to the tube that extends into the fore end wood and is held on by the fore end wood nut.

I buy replacements from Remington while at the Grand. They are in the $40-$50 price range as memory serves.

The new action bars do not immediately fit the older 870 actions as there is an extra tab of metal that fits inside of the plate that rides on the end of the action bars that goes inside of the action. It is about a 5 minute exercise to take a dremell or similar tool and to grind off of the extra tab. You can identify this tab by looking at the broken and new action bars.

It is a good idea to hone the action bar a little and to apply a light coat of Rem Oil to the action bar.

Hint, If you get a stuck shell or hull in your 870, carefully push it out of the gun by inserting a dowel rod into the muzzle and pushing out the stuck shell or hull. If it is a stuck live shell, I insert the dowel rod and push by applying the external end of the dowel rod on a shed roof.

Do not remove a stuck shell or hull by banging the butt on the ground while holding the gun by the fore end. This IMO puts a lot of stress on the action bar and weld.

Ed Ward

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Joe,

I have several new matte 870 12 gauge tube assemblies.

$40 shipped via USPS.

Michael Goines

8. archangel

archangel Member

Ed - it 's good to know that the new style bars can be easily adapted to the old slide assembly

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

School Teacher is dead on about the bar.

It takes about five minutes with a file to convert a 'new' bar into an 'old' bar.

Again, hold the new one next to the old one and the modification will be readily apparent. A tab and the base of one of the arms, maybe 3/16 by 5/16 needs to be removed.

10. joe kuhn

Thanks guys. Inguired with Michael above. A friend tried to weld mine, but it didn't last.

Joe

11. joe kuhn

Fixed. Thanks guys! And thanks Michael. Part came today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 action bar broke
870 action bar differences
870 action bars
870 slide assembly broken
broken metal from remington 870 action
how to hand hone the action bars on a remington 870

remington 870 action bar lock broke

replacing 870 action bars