1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ACRONYM FOR AR-15

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BOB WEGRZYN, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOB WEGRZYN

BOB WEGRZYN Member

Can anyone tell me what the acronym AR-15 stands for. I was told it was short for Armelite, ASSAULT RIFLE, etc. Does anyone know the true designation for AR-15.

2. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Armalite Rifle, Model 15, was the legal term for the civilian Armalite Rifle, Model 16, which is the military/LEO (select fire)version....Google AR-14 and you will get a ga-gillion links, or go to ar15.com

LarryB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The AR-15 was a scaled down version of the AR-10, the .308 version of the rifle.

The AR-10 design predates the Remington 1100 (as does the AR-15), and came out slightly after the 870, so its by no means a new or modern rifle. Even the AR-15 is a 56 year old design.

"The "AR" in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name. ArmaLite's AR-1, AR-5, and some subsequent models were bolt action rifles, the AR-7 a semi-automatic survival rifle and there are shotguns and pistols whose model numbers include the "AR" prefix." (http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/AL%20HISTORY%20COPY%202.pdf)

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't tell the Libbies this. They are already confused.

Do you think Eugene Stoner could have guessed all this hoopla would happen over this rifle. Well I guess he saw it during the Clinton ban. I believe he died in the late 90's.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Stoner, yes! Didn't the special forces in Vietnam carry something from them before the M-16 was approved for production?

6. BOB WEGRZYN

BOB WEGRZYN Member

Well there you have it! Thanks guys.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks. I thought it meant "Absolutely Republican".

By the way, what was the name of the fellow who designed the Garrand? I once heard that he went home and relaxed by ice skating in his backyard, ice skating put him into a better designing/concentrative zone.

...and does the Civilian Marksmanship Program still exist? I shoulda hung in and obtained my very own M-1, but lost interest since bolt actions are more accurate for the buck.

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

How to confuse a liberal, Just give them ONE FACT, they can't handle even that!!

How to make a liberal mad, repeat the FACT!!

9. oz

oz Active Member

the name of the (fellow) that designed the garand was JOHN GARAND.

10. BOB WEGRZYN

BOB WEGRZYN Member

Guys, Im hosting the Super-Bowl party tomorrow and unfortunately there will be a couple of LIB-TARDS in attendance. One is a SNARKY, CONDESENDING, ERROGANT Lawyer!! I know the whole gun-ban issue is gonna come up and I need every bit of AMMO against his emotional rant against terrifying looking Military (Assault Rifles)
    Once again, thanks for the info.

OBTW, To all of you who have served in any branch of our MILITARY, my family and I, along with many friends want to extend a most "SPECIAL THANK YOU" to each and everyone of you. You are the true PATRIOTS of this country.
    Thank you for your SACRIFICE.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why did you even invite the Liberal idiots? I would uninvite the Liberal idiot. Tell him he can come when he gets a brain. Problem solved.

12. BOB WEGRZYN

BOB WEGRZYN Member

My wife did!! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

acronims ar15

what is the acronym for ar 15