1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate .22 handguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I posted February 27th about taking a co-worker shooting. He is very excited about the sport and wanted to buy a gun right a way. I encouraged him to wait, Visit the range a few more times and try several different ones before purchasing one.

He is convinced to purchase a .22 handgun first which started a lot of interesting conversations about accuracy. I have several nice .22s, Including a Diamondback, K-22, Model 34, Some High Standards,and Mk II Rugers. I 've never been a bullseye shooter and really don't know which one shoots the tightest groups.

My question is, Which .22 hand guns are the most accurate ? Some mentioned are; Colt Woodsman target, Model 41 Smith, Model 89 Beretta. Please give me your thoughts. And I am talking about stock, Out of the box production .22lr hand guns. Thanks.Richard

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

My 9 year old grandson shoots the daylights out of my 6" Ruger MKII. He loves it and shoots it really well. He likes it better than my Browning Buckmark

Oscar

3. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

The Ruger Mark III at about $300 is what I started with in NRA Bullseye. It is accurate enough to be competative out of the box and can be tweaked. The Smith Model 41 at about $1000 is the pistol of choice when you move to the next level.

Doc

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I think the Browning Buckmarks are an excellent value for cost and accuracy. My son has the threaded version of the Camper, and I have the now discontinued 5.5" Field model (target model with ramp front sight). Both are accurate. The target models have a trigger that is adjustable for overtravel, and a lighter trigger spring. The trigger and spring are relatively inexpensive so upgrading is cheap and easy. Note that the Buckmarks have three different grip frames. The standard frame is on the Camper and Hunter. The URX has a narrowed frame for use with wrap around rubber grips with finger grooves. The UDX has an even narrower frame with finger grooves machined directly into the frame. Grips are only interchangeable within frame type. Meaning the standard frame will take standard frame wood or rubber grips (and some aftermarket grips) only. The URX only takes the wrap around factory rubber grip. The URX only takes factory wood URX grips. The point being, try the different frames before you buy. BTW, the URX Contour models have a rail on top for optics, though they also have iron sights. The Hunter has a short rail, but the short rail works best for red dots, not scopes. The Contour models are the modern version of the now discontinued Target and Field models, and neither of those came with the optional 7.25" barrel. The Contour in either barrel length would be my current pick for a Buckmark target model.

I also have an older S&W Model 41. It's more accurate than the Buckmark, but it better be, since it costs substantially more (like 2.5x to 4x as much). You're paying a lot for a small increase in accuracy. For field use it is not really a good tradeoff. For competition use it's worthwhile, if you are good enough to make use of it. I call it a "no excuse gun". If you miss, you don't have an excuse. It's all machined steel, so it's heavier than the other guns, especially in the 5.5" heavy barrel, making it a bit heavy for field use. Didn't care for the factory target grip. Herrett makes a 1911 style grip for it. I had them customize it with a simulated 1911A1 curved backstrap, which apparently is cataloged now. If money is no object, and you want the best in accuracy, get a S&W Model 41. (There are more accurate .22's, but they're even more expensive.) BTW, S&W also makes a 7" version and a 5.5" Performance Center version with integral rail.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Rugers are tough to beat for value- I would get a stainless one with one of the small thumb rest grips

A used Smith 622 (that was the stainless version of the 422)

I have been intrigued by the Brownings mentioned by Brian but havent owned or shot one.

41s are kind of the gold standard and shop for a used one

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

High Standards Victor. I have one here that still has a mess of "X's" left in it. You gotta love an accurate 22 pistol.....

7. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

I have shot a lot of 22 cal bullseye competition over the last 25 years at a rate of 5000 per year and have owned several different models as my wife started out with me and we worked her way up the quality ladder. I have found all 22's to be accurate with a 4-6" barrel, the difference lies within the trigger. If you put them all in a ransom rest, they will all fire tight groups at 50' but if the trigger pull has too much weight or creep or is inconsistent it becomes difficult to shoot them accurately free hand. The rule of thumb that we always tell new shooters is to purchase the more expensive pistol as you are more likely to get your money back if you decide to sell as you wont if you buy a Ruger or Buckmark and have the trigger done. A $350 pistol is a $350 pistol no matter what work you have done to it.

Dave

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While many of the autoloaders mentioned above are slightly more accurate, you can't beat a revolver for safety, an important consideration with newer shooters. They also tend to place less emphasis on seeing how fast the magazine or cylinder can be emptied.

I shot smallbore bullseye competition in the 1970s with a High Standard Supermatic Trophy but often took a Smith & Wesson Model 17 and did equally well with it. Today, I have a pair of Model 617s - 4" and 6" - that I use when the mood strikes. As long as a revolver's chambers all align properly and the same with the barrel's forcing cone, there isn't much reason why a revolver cannot shoot right with an autoloader.

Ed

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have owned S&W model 41's, Hi-Std. Victor,Citation and Supermatics,Ruger MkII, S&W K22 and S&W model 34's. All were very accurate and digested almost any ammo without problems. My personal favorite is the model 41 and it seemed to enjoy Remington Std. velocity ammo. At one time I could split playing cards with it. Not with one bullet but with several hits as the 22's hit and deflect. If your friend has the financial resources the Model 41 would be a great choice, but if he wants to try something for a while to make sure he wants to continue the sport, my choice would be the Ruger MKII as it is economical and the resale value is very good. They sell quickly. He can always trade up to the Model 41. Mike.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have Neo's, 22A's, MKII's, HighStandard and Buckmark's and my pistol of choice for accuracy is the Buckmark hands down. I don't own a 41 but will pick one up some day to add to the collection. Yes, you can buy more accurate guns but we are talking about fractions of an inch at 35 feet. Not worth the money unless you are talking about serious competion. Jackie B.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought a new Browning challenger in 1967. It has a 6 3/4th inch barrel and adjustable sights and trigger. It is designed like the colt woodsman. When my eyes were young I could pick off a pop can on a 2 x 4 at 100 yds shooting off of sandbags fairly often
    Having a nice trigger is key.

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

I have a standard Buckmark and one other important advantage it has is how easy it is to take apart (and put back together, Ruger fans). Keeping a .22 clean is critical to reliability and accuracy and there's nothing to it with the Browning. Two screws and the slide is off; easy to work on as well. Replace the action spring and the buffer and the gun is like new, considering you're unlikely to shoot out the barrel of one of these!
    John

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My favorite .22 is the Ruger Mark I target with the 5.25" target barrel which I got for Christmas in 1955 (yes, 1955) from my parents. I added Ruger wood target grips and have always enjoyed its accuracy. Reliability depends on cleanliness and certain types of ammo...but that and the 870 20 ga. I got the year before are my two most treasured guns. While I have other .22s (Buckmark and S&Ws) I find the Mark I does very well. Just bought a Colt (Walther) 1911 look-alike (Gold Cup Model) which functions flawlessly but needs trigger work. Best Regards, Ed

14. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

[​IMG]

I do believe that to shoot a hand gun accurately, takes a bit practice. The best way to practice all most daily, is with and air gun

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Very accurate my MKII Government. Very tight groups for a reasonable price. (not for sale)

Guy Babin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mike

Mike Member

Whichever gun you choose, shoot several different ammos through it. Surely one will outperform the others. High velocity may not be the way to go. IMHO Mik

17. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I don't know how accurate 'it' is, but I needed a hand gun when qualifying for my CCW license so I purchased a new Heritage Rough Rider single action 22 caliber from my local dealer for $150. It will shoot short, long or long rifle ammo and comes with a cylinder for 22 magnum. I hit 25/25 when qualifying. My son used it for his CCW class and had 24/25! I still 'kid' him about the 'old man' being the better shot! No I don't 'carry' it, I have a S&W model 36 for that. Don't carry it much either but it's usually close at hand.

18. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

In my case and "MOST" peoples case any .22 handgun is capable of more accuracy than the shooter is?

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Hammerli 280. Had one that showed 5 shots 22 LR 1/4" 25 meters. 32S&W showed 1/2" at 25 meters. But picey for sure. Buy a good new Ruger Target gun slab bbl 6"+.
    Make sure you can easily mount optics(on any 22 you buy,optics are the best teaching tool & lots of people use them in competition) Cost to performance ia superb. Lots of tuning parts cheap from Brownells. Only way to go for a strater.

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

My most accurate 22's are first, a Ruger MKII Target, with cheap ammo can bounce a golf ball out to the 100yd line all day long.

Second is a S&W 617 with 8&3/8 full underlug open site can do the same as the Ruger with its red dot site.

Just have to reload more often with the Smith.

Shooting clay pigeons at 100 yds got to easy, golf balls are way more fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.