1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate #2 Load Works Just Fine AA#2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Thanks to everyone here for the data on Accurate #2. I read stories here and elsewhere about it having a "ferocious muzzle blast" and taking tablespoons of powder.

I'm using a MEC #23 bushing with STS hulls, Cheddite primer and a Claybuster 3118 wad.

The 23 bushing gives around 18.7 grains. The load works just fine from the 16 yard line, and I haven't tried backing up. #2 does have it's own smell, and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad one - just peculiar.

The recoil is very mild, and the birds go to powder when I do my part.

Again, thanks to everyone here for the data. I'm so pleased with this #2 that I might buy more. It's a great bullseye pistol powder, too.

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What data?

published or just a try?

thanks

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Accurate #2 is a lot like bullseye.........can be touchy if mis-used!

AndyH ;-)

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I used #2 years ago (early 90's) when I loaded pistol ammo with it. Looking back into my records, I used loads from the 1986 Accurate manual, and all were 3 Dram published loads. Although I went through a lot of #2 in handguns, I discontinued loading this powder in shotshells because of a tremendous muzzle blast in a 30" ported Browning O/U. IIRC, it was louder than my present Unique HCP load. To each his own.

As early as 2002, Accurate did not list #2 in a shotshell recipe. The Lyman 4th shotshell manual had conflicting data as opposed to the older Accurate manual, where 1 1/2 gr less powder produced the same velocity and near Red-Line pressure. Another reason to discontinue the load.

A load matching the one you use is in the old Lyman manual, and generates 1205 FPS at 10,800PSI with the supposedly milder STS primer.

I would suggest you make sure of the ballistics and safety of your load.

5. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I can say this, Coach; I shot my #2 handloads and then grabbed a box of Wal-Mart val-pak Federals, and the Federals generated as much or more recoil and made my barrel hotter.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear 357

Don't forget, the canister grade powder that reloaders use is of a higher quality and consistency than what the factories buy. :^)

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I use it some in 9mm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.