1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Accurate 1000 and 1250

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TLC Flying, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

Has anyone any experience with these powders? Do they compare with Green Dot, Red Dot, Clays, ect. Does the 1250 burn clean? Any info would be appreciated. Thanx
  2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS TS Member

I have used solo 1000, loaded very light for 1 oz and 1-1/8 oz and its as clean as anything I have ever used, except for the original solo 1000 from scott powder company before it was sold-now that stuff was cleaner than clean !

1250 I used for heavy handicap loads 1250 fps and it feels a little softer than the big thump of fast burning powders when loaded at max pressures.

This has been my own experiences-I'm sure others will vary.
  3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If loaded to moderate pressures, Solo 1250 burns clean enough. All powders leave residue. It's a decent slower burning powder that is suitable for many handicap loads. Solo 1000 is a bit faster and suitable for some of the lighter work. I would suggest that you take a look at the available data and make a decision based on the components you wish to load and the ability to keep pressures low enough to be safe. I usually try to keep pressures under 9500 PSI and over about 8000 in oreder to get decent consistency. Mash the link above for the downloadable guide, or you can request a hard copy as well.
  4. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

Thanks, I have viewed the website. Experiance is always better. I had found that green dot and also Rex 2 left alot of unburnt residue in colder weather. Just curious if the 1250 was the same BW
  5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

TLC Flying

I don't think you would find Solo 1250 to be much different than most other powders as far as residue, especially in cold weather. If the unburned powder is an issue, there may be a few things you can do to try to minimized that. Not knowing what loads you were using, I can't really comment on a solution. Sometimes the primers and wads can make a difference, but you also need to be aware of pressures and the substitutions should be supported by reliable data.
  6. over/under

over/under Member

Been using Solo 1000 last 5-6 years. Load 1 1/8 oz for everything. 1100 fps to 1200 fps. Very clean powder. Very consistent but I was buying it in 25lb kegs. Hard to find them in 25 lb keg. Also more espensive than 5-6 years ago, but so is everything else. Very happy with it.
  7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

I use Solo 1000 for 7/8, and one ounce loads. The best powder I have ever used for the purpose. I only load 1 1/8 oz in a Caps load.

Solo 1250 is at the top of my list for 1 1/8 oz 1250 foot loads. It lives in the 1250 fps + zone. The best Caps powder I have used in my travels. It generates less felt recoil at Handicap speeds than any other powder I have used. It makes your trap gun a Martian Death Ray at the 27.

These are the only powders I load in my 12 ga shotguns.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.