1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Accuracy of Mec bushings?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Har3rdus, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Har3rdus

Har3rdus Member

I am not happy with Mec bushings. According to the Mec web page, a #32 bushing should dispense 19.2 grains of Red Dot and 19.6 grains of Green dot. Number 29 bushing should dispense 17.1 grains of Red Dot. In my case, no way and not even close. In my Mec 600 jr., #32 bushing drops 17 and #29 bushing drops 14.3 of Red Dot. I use a Mec baffle to aid in even distribution. I check the powder charges with a Redding scale. Does any one else have similar problems?

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry in PA
    Never let the flag touch the ground

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Try your powder drops with out the powder baffle. Mec says you don't need the baffle.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The bushing chart is only a starting point. It gets you close. They were never designed to be dead on. It would be impossible. Every batch of powder will be different even those with the same batch number can weigh different. Use the bushing chart to get close and then using your scale go up or down in bushings until you find the sweet spot.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You're not too far from success. You're using a scale to weigh your charges, which is light years ahead of trusting the bushing chart. Like grntitan says, the bushing chart is only a "starting point". Likely, every time you buy another jug of powder the bushing you were using will change what it throws (lot to lot variation). Of course that means there will be times when your selection of bushings won't throw the grains you want no matter what. In that case you can either settle for a lower charge, or begin opening up your powder bushing (file, dremel too, router bit, etc) until it throws what you want. They do make an adjustable charge bar, but it has a learning curve and it would be smart to wait awhile before you try one.

The key is to always go by weight (just like you're doing). You may have to play with volume (of the bushing) to get there, but you'll at least have done your loading correctly. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

If you're interested, check the weight of the shot load that's coming from your bar. You may be surpised, but that is another story.

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What grntitan said is true for just about all bushings & machines, too much variation in hull choice (resizing vibration)--operator & different lot #s. You are a smart man to use a good scale. Ross Puls

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Just like Ross says - no news there

7. 3357

3357 Member

I also use a good scale, I use a #33 bushing to get 17.3 grains of Red Dot in a MEC 9000.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Your loading technique, the lot of powder, ETC eTc all add up to what the bushing drop will be.

If you want 17 grains and you are only getting 15.5 you may have to go up one or two bushing sizes.

The powder drop being dropped is what is important, not the bushing size. That said.. anytime I am a few bushings off I will be extra carefeul to recheck a little more often just to make sure that the low charge that was being thrown was fixed by going up in bushing size and not by the vibration of the machine or my loading technique.

It's not even that a load mite become unsafe as much as I really don't want to all the sudden be shooting 19.5 grains when the 17.0 was all I wanted.

It's not what the book says.. "It's what the bushing throws that counts" Good advice then and good advice now. Jeff

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remember to always check the accuracy of the scale by weighing a test weight. HMB

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A Jr will drop different then a 9000G.

Always use a scale....

11. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

I have found that I most of the time need to use 2 bushings up from MEC's chart but I weigh every time I buy new powder.

A good beam scale is your best freind with any kind of reloading be it metalic or shotgun

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

For consistancy you should fill your powder bottle and tap it 4-5 times to settle the powder. Then run 5 or so powder drops before weighing.

As you load and cycle your loader, it vibrates the powder and compacts it in the bottom of your powder bottle. Your powder drop could vary an entire grain if you don't let your powder settle in.

BTW, my #33 bushing drops 18-18.3 of RedDot.

13. tomr1

tomr1 Member

I'm just getting into reloading.....so here's a follow up question. What is an "acceptable" error or deviation from the published weight?

14. Cush

Cush TS Member

It is common to see 1/10 to even 3/10's variation, esp. until you get your routine established, and depending on the quality/condition of your loader.

I want to see no more than 1/10 gr. variation with mine, within a given powder batch, or I know something isn't right. Usually I am seeing far less than 1/10 variation.

Not knowing whether the people producing the measured weights can be trusted, I just center my beam and call it good. But then I am never near a max load anyway.

15. biggunone

biggunone Member

5% on low side

16. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I ream and mark my bushings.

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you want to be exact,use the adjustable bar.
    Clyde

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

You will also find that each type of powder "meters" differently as well. I use the adjustable bar and have found that ball powder like WST is the most consistent. Clays is almost as good for consistency. Green Dot and Red Dot are slightly worse but still within a couple tenths on consecutive drops.

Some believe that inconsistent drops are the result of static electricity. That is an entirey different subject and easy to research here in the threads. I am not sure I believe everything I have read about static electricity, but I ground my reloader because that removes one possible varible.

Loading for 12ga. shotgun does not take as much a precision as metallic. The reloading machines we use are not designed to be as prescise, or do they need to be. If your range of variation on consecutive drops is around 3 tenths you should consider that very good, and you will not see any performance issues.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If your bushing comes up a little short, open it with a round file.
    Best bet is the adjustable powder/shot bar.

20. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Looking for exact weights is a waste of time. Use the bushing closest but not exceeding the published data that you are going for. You will not know the difference, the gun will not know the difference, the target will not know the difference and the world will not know the difference. Just don't tell anyone or a mob will tell you that it'll never work and your life will end.

JMO of course

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
accurate 4100 mec bushings
are mec bushings accurate
mec bushing chart green dot
mec bushing for red dot

mec bushing green dot

mec pwder bushing 32 how many grains red dot powder
mec reloading bushing chard green dot
will mec bushings of the same number throw different weights