1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Accommodations/Grand 07

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have been meaning to ask all , how were there accommodations at the Aug. Grand American. I resided for the week in Okawville,Il. at a bed & breakfast.
    I enjoyed the people / and the town. About 30 miles from grounds.Our hosts were enjoyable. Room rates were sensible. Anyone needing a room near Sparta for other events. Please inquire.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. guncase

guncase TS Member

I have noticed that nobody ever posts how much they paid for a Motel/Hotel in or around Sparta for the Grand, or how nice it was. Is there a non-disclosure clause in the room rental agreement? Or is it just "if you have to ask,,you can't afford it" I would like to know,,just for my curosity,, and to know if the motorhome is a good thing or not. Paul

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Just look for the NO GOUGING signs in the windows. The whole town of Sparta was in agreement two years ago that there would be none. Well there were none (signs that is). It is Business that is what they do, good old supply and demand.

No I did not go but I did make quite a few phone inquires just before and after the Grand last year. About a 35% increase during the Grand.

Not all that bad. If you have the money to go in the first place it won't keep you from going.

Rock

Jim

4. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Looks like the new Holiday In Express in Sparta is charging 130+/- a night in 2008!

38-01615

5. bas

bas Member

We stayed at the Super 8 in Waterloo....I made the reservation for this year when we checked out last year. I called in Jan to confirm the room and the rate and was quoted $76.95 for a King NS room. I just checked the internet and this very day, the rate for a King room (2pp) is $75 and the AARP rate is $67.50. I think they increased the rate slightly for 2007. When I made the 2006 reservation, which was in 2005 - the rates quoted were 2005 rates and they honored those in 2006. So, it is hard to know exactly how much their rates increased. I wouldn't say they "gouged".

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Interested in everyone's compaints.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Dearest Rock - Who does not attend the Grand. What were the prices in Vandalia during the Grand? The same as the rest of the year. Yep, except for a slight increase, that was needed to accomodate the Grand shooters. - Jim

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

New website will find least expensive hotels in any area. I just saved $19 on a hotel res., under the AARP/AAA rate at the same hotel.

http://www.farecast.com/hotels

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

"Damnit Jimmy" That is what his daddy always called him.

Would not believe me so why bother. And I never had to use a hotel for the Grand couldn't have went if I did.

But 23 miles away was Springfield and the rates there for the last Grand in Vandalia was $39.00 , $69.00 for room with hot tub a night at the first hotel coming into town from the west 1/2 mile from rt 40. Has an indoor pool also. Of course if you wanted Marriott, that was around $87.00 but on the other side of town.

And it not the price as much as availability and close to the shoot. That was not a problem at Vandalia.

Now enjoy the short drive and have fun.

Rock

Jim

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

bas, did the super 8 have a minimum night stay?

11. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Prior to the 2006 Grand,I had the good fortune of meeting a non-shooting family that was monitoring the progress of the Sparta facility during it's construction as well as how the shooters were reacting to it. They live about 5 miles from the facility and were kind enough to invite us to stay at their home for the shoot. It was a great experience getting to know total strangers who accepted us almost as a family member. Being from New Jersey, I can't imagine anyone doing this. When asked about the cost, they said "When you're ready to leave, just give us whatever you think that it was worth". How can you beat that. We were invited back this year and three of us took advantage of the opportunity. We had a great time and are planning on doing it again, next year.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.