1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Accidental discharge - St Charles Sportsmen's Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Jun 5, 2013.

1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I wasn't there last night but this was reported today:

Kane County Chronicle

BLACKBERRY TOWNSHIP – Three people were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries Tuesday after a gun accidentally discharged in unincorporated Blackberry Township, according to a news release from the Kane County Sheriff's Office.

Initial investigation indicated that a 69-year-old member of the St. Charles Sportsman's Club, 44W471 Keslinger Road, had completed shooting and entered the clubhouse at about 7:30 p.m., according to the release.

The St. Charles man was reportedly preparing to put his 12-gauge shotgun away and put a snap cap into the gun. A snap cap is reportedly used to save the firing pin of the gun while it is stored.

The man reportedly pulled the trigger – causing the shotgun to discharge – while he had the firearm pointed at the floor, according to the release.

A live shotgun round was in the gun instead of the snap cap, according to the release. The buckshot from the live shotgun round reportedly went into the floor and bounced up and out and hit several people.

A 31-year-old man from West Chicago, a 60-year-old man from Somonauk and a 14-year-old boy from Geneva were taken to Delnor Hospital in Geneva with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the release.

About seven people were treated and released at the scene, but the sheriff's office noted the final list is not yet available. The man who discharged the gun was among those reportedly treated at the scene.

Based on the initial investigation, the incident appears to be accidental, according to the release. It noted it does not appear that any charges will be sought.

Sheriff's deputies and Elburn police, fire and emergency medical personnel responded to the scene.

Gene in Illinois
  2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Active Member

That is a terrible accident and I fell bad for all involved. I can only imagine how the man that made that mistake must feel. I hope there are no problems for the club that come from this. I was given some snap caps a few years ago that looked like a shot shell only shorter. I got rid of them for some chromed caps because the others looked so much like a red AA.
  3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Already being discussed.
  4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Just my opinion Calkidd, but a thread titled "SNAP CAPS" doesn't exactly describe the event or the place. I'll keep my post up. Thanks for the input.

ALso, FYI there was s similar occurrence at the same club a few years ago. The culprit was a lady shooter who, I believe, picked up the wrong gun and fired it into the floor baseboard to release the firing pin before casing the gun. No snap cap involved in that event.

Gene in Illinois
  5. mag410

mag410 Member

The situation described is NOT an accidental discharge.

The shooter choose to pull the trigger on a gun that he assumed was empty.

This would not happen if the adults in this sport would follow the first, foremost, and simplest gun handling rule, the one we teach any new shooter the first time handle a gun, open the gun and make sure it is unloaded.

Michael
  6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

I agree with mag410. This was negligence in the handling of a firearm. NOT an accident!! Ed
  7. spitter

spitter Active Member

While there is clearly some negligence on the part of the member, unless you're suggesting the gentleman purposely put in a live shell, he didn't expect the gun to fire... an unexpected outcome... an accident.

Jay
  8. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

I dont think of this as an accident.

Just as vehicle collisions arent called accidents any longer. That is determined afterwards.

First of all - he pulled the trigger- that act was intentional and stupid to do inside a club house

Second he violated one of the cardinal rules of gun safety, the muzzle of the gun was not pointed in a safe direction-- why would he ever have pointed the muzzle of the gun even in the general direction of anyone?

People that see this stuff happening at a range or in a building need to intervene and correct people on the spot when they see this. My guess is the guy had been doing this stuff for years and others at that location probably have also

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  9. trapwife

trapwife Active Member

Gene, your post clearly states the gun was pointed at the floor, which I consider a safe direction. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill...
  10. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

A safe direction does not result in people getting hurt. Ken Jeffries
  11. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

Rules should always state that you don't close and snap a gun inside the club house. Snap caps aren't the problem. The use of snap caps is the problem.
  12. himark

himark Active Member

We must be a odd club. We dont allow guns IN the club house. Rarely someone will bring one in but they soon find no racks or places to put it down.
  13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Safety is job ONE, Its every person who handles a gun to make sure he or she hadles it in a safe manner under any and all conditions ... Your only dead once, an accident that could of been avoided ... This would be grounds for a membership suspension to say the least ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  14. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Gonna say it one more time - NO SNAP CAPS.
  15. spitter

spitter Active Member

Snap-Caps aren't the problem, the use of Snap-Caps isn't the problem, it's the knuckle-head that inadvertently put a live shell into his gun and then pulled the trigger in a clubhouse full of people...

Jay
  16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Knuckle-head or not, the lawyers will say what when the law suits come forth?

You can assume the club will also be named in any lawsuit (10).
  17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Sounds like a "negligent" discharge as opposed to accidental,,,,,,,,,don't most clubs prohibit guns inside the clubhouse????
  18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

RE: don't most clubs prohibit guns inside the clubhouse

Not in my experience, and if yes, is the policy enforced, as that will be part of the investigation conducted by the lawyers involved!
  19. spitter

spitter Active Member

Joe:

I agree... that's the lawyers job... but then it's also an indictment against the entire firearm industry isn't it?! I'm not sure how wide reaching the recently enacted immunity laws go toward firearm accessories (if any), but someone has to make a case that snap-caps used correctly, are inherently dangerous... at which point, if there is no product immunity, the product liability insurance folks will price the product out of existence.

BDTx... here outside Chi-town, most, if not all ranges have racks inside the clubhouse to store firearms while not in use...

Jay
  20. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

now trapwife says mountain out of a molehill

So you are the mother of the 14 year old who goes shooting one day and comes home blind the next?

People were injured- 14 of them- 3 hospitalized

It obviously was not a safe direction-- I cant believe that a few people on here want to debate that fact

They might be friends of the shooter or they might have done this type of thing themselves but they certainly werent amoung the shot.

A story I have told many times- I was at a club in Indianna- shooting- and saw this kid on the line with his father- maybe 12 or 13- really not good gun safety- just swinging the muzzle a little too much

But

After the round the group gathered under a tree and I saw the kid come up with a closed BT or something and put the butt on the ground and his head rested on the barrel

Now I am certain some people say I made a mountain out of a molehill

I went up- told the father to have his son slowly remove his head- move that gun into a safe postion and open it

I saw hate in the fathers eyes- and for a moment he considered arguing or worse with me

My exact words included - " ...or something may happen that none up us will every forget the rest of our lives"

This guy should have been corrected years before by other shooters there-

Its not only him- it is everyone that claims this is "no big deal" or an "accident" or "making a mountain out of a molehill"

Regards from Iowa

Gene