1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Accidental Death by Firearm Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Today my son-in-law's dad was killed by someone dropping a handgun on the ground and discharging. He was hit in the face and died on site. Although I don't know the complete story as yet, it appears he was standing around while people were handling the gun. I was just getting ready to introduce my son-in-law to trap in the next few months. Not sure what will happen now. Joe

THE REST OF THE STORY

The owner of a 22 derringer and manager of the business took his gun out of its holster to show his fellow employees. It appears the gun was loaded. After showing it around he then put it back in the holster and onto a shelf. The gun fell out of the holster onto the floor. It hit the floor on the hammer which was closed but it set off the primmer and hit my son-in-laws dad above the right eye, killing him. He leaves a wife and two sons, one 25 and the other 11 years old. Safety, safety, safety..... Joe

2. Reinz

Reinz Member

Wow, what a tragic, senseless, loss.

When we hear of such things, they sound like urban legends, now we know - lets be safe.

My prayers for everyone's comfort and peace.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

That is so sad and so tragic. I offer this bit of information not to be smug or disrespectful in any sense, but maybe this will help others avoid firearm danger in the future: I feel I could have had the same thing happen to me on one occasion that really upset me, when frequening an indoor "commercial" pistol range that was poorly supervised and open to the public. Some "crazy" things were going on, very unsafe. (people unaware of muzzle direction, not paying attention to where and how they placed a handgun on the bench, sometimes cocked and unlocked etc.). Just something that flashes in my mind when a handgun tragedy is mentioned.

I hope all those who suffered a loss receive the support, gentleness, understanding, and love can not bring back a loved one, but are needed to provide strength to go on in a positive way.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Sometimes it takes a tragic accident like this one to remind all of us what can happen when handling any firearm. my condolences to you and your son in law. Bill

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I don`t shoot pistol but do remember years ago at one local range where they hated a range officer who they thought was too much a PIA with his strict rules . Well they never had an accident which shows that this is whats needed . It only takes one accident to ruin lives . Sorry to those involved in this one .

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

That was just horrible. Sorry to hear about it. Send me regards to the family.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"I don`t shoot pistol but do remember years ago at one local range where they hated a range officer who they thought was too much a PIA with his strict rules . Well they never had an accident which shows that this is whats needed .</i>

Following and enforcing the rules is one thing. No argument there. The issue in the other thread was about those who go beyond that, often making up rules on the spot, discriminating against guns they don't like, the list goes on and on. One can enforce the rules without being a PITA.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This is a very sad accident and our condolences to the mans friends and family.

I'm not to up on handguns at all and have a question. Doesn't a lot of handguns have a hammer block of some sort to prevent such accidents when dropping a handgun?

Hap

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hap, yes they do. Most derringers have a hammer block just to prevent things like this from happening. Trouble is, most of the time they aren't used.

GnEJ

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Man I'm really sorry to hear about that condolences for the family

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It may be an accident that the gun hit the floor but no accident the gun fired, I would call it stupidity and negligence. Hippie says derringers have a hammer block. Is this a manual hammer block that separates the firing pin from the shell when the hammer is down?

13. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I want to thank everybody for the best wishs aand prayers for our family and hope you guys will keep contributing to the thread in the hopes of a better understanding of why the gun fired when dropped. On Monday I will get the police report and hope to have the actual gun make/model identified. Thanks to all Joe

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It's really sad that this unfortunate and unnecessary accident happened. I have several derringers and they all have a safety that allows the hammer to be pulled back to the first click and safety/hammer block can be applied. This would have kept this senseless accident from happening. My sympathies to the family. Jackie B.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My High Standard Derringer does not have an exposed hammer nor does it have a safety of any kind bar the heavier trigger pull weight. I'm certain if it were dropped while loaded and landed wrong it could certainly fire. Let's just say I'm not interested in testing that theory though. I love this little gun but never thought it was the safest design.
    [​IMG]

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Johnny, the safety blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin when it is engaged. Gotta be manually engaged to work, like any other safety. Lotta times people don't put the safety on, just lay it around and forget it. Sometimes with bad results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.