1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

accepting checks by fax?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I had a guy fax a check to me, I carried it to the bank and they looked at me like I was from mars..lol.. I have heard of people taking checks by fax but apparently my bank doesnt..I mean..it has the guys account number,routing number, signature, and so on.. when he mails me the original it will look just like the faxed one..I dont see the big deal.. so.. how does one get set up to accept checks by fax? thanks!

2. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I did a google on "checks by fax" and it seems to be a little more involved that just having a Fax machine.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

A fax is not a negotiable instrument. Have him send it by mail.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

He may of faxed it to you as proof that he made out the check but no bank that I know of would take it as the real deal being as it really isn't a real check but only a copy of one ... I have a bunch of real checks laying here from Nigeria, Bangladash, Haiti, and a few other places that the banks won't take either and these are not copies ... Nothing like having a cool 321 million laying on your desk and letters coming once a week that I have even more coming ... Go Figure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thanks!

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Maybe they wont do it anymore with all the elctronic banking but years a go I had went to pick up a tractor at the dealer and forgot my checkbook. I wrote a check on a plain peice of paper and his bank cashed it for him

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

When I was in college, a friend of mine successfully cashed a check someone had just written on the back of an envelope. True story.

There is nothing magic about the piece of paper. As long as it has the name, account number, and signature, all it is is a promissory that there is money in that bank to cover this promise of payment.

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

for a narrow crowd of folks, Paypal works good too...

9. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

The routing and account numbers are encoded in a special ink that can be read by computers when the checks are run through a machine; similar to swiping a credit card. A fax would not have this type of ink. If you were depositing to the issuing bank it may not be such an big deal, however if the check needs to be sent through the federal reserve (from depositing bank to issuing bank) these slips of paper typicaly have the routing, account, and check numbers already encoded with this ink and the depositing bank also encodes the dollar amount so that it is all read, sorted, and distributed by machines. Look at your cancelled checks sometime, they should all have the dollar amount of the check encoded in the lower right corner.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

With computer payments uploaded we take check payments all the time. It doesn't make any difference if it is the original or a fax copy. I enter all the proper routing numbers and the account numbers (no magnetic numbers) and hit the enter button and it is gone from his account and into ours. It has to be set up with the companies we do business with and our bank but you can do it.

Don

11. locdoc

locdoc Member

I do business with several suppliers/distributors that accept "check by fax". These are companies that I do not have an "open" account with. It saves me A "bunch" on COD and credit card fees. The order gets shipped that day or the next depending on when I place the order. All good on this end.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.