1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Accelerator

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scott starks, Aug 13, 2013.

1. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

Does anyone have any information on this ammo?

2. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

Plastic holding a smaller diameter bullet

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

This was an answer to a question that should not have been asked. i.e. Can I turn my 30-06 deer rifle into a varmint gun?. Remington sold these sabot rounds for a couple of decades. Depending on the twist rate of your gun they could be fairly accurate. They were not cheap though and never really caught on.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot many of these and had very good luck with them ... Be great for Coyotes if you can bring them in ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I load them for my 30 cal. guns. I can't get good accuracy much past 150 yds. They work in any 30 cal. rifle. Factory made 30-30 & 30/06 loads. Have not tried any on my 300 Win mag. I think it overkill.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good for things where you don't want ballistic markings on the bullet.

HM

7. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

Back some years ago I use to reload them for my 30/06 ....... killed a lot of ground hogs & coyotes with them. As far as the accuracy they never shot very well for me over 200yds in the rifle I was using them in. But they was fast!

I still own the die's and stuff to reload them and I also have a bag of sabot's still laying around here.

I look them up today on the web to see if I could still get the sabot's and I see that I still can order them in.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've used Rem Accelerators in 30-30, 308 and 30-06.

Back in high school and college a friend and I used the 30-30 Accelerators for varminting in our scoped Marlin 336 carbines. They worked reasonably well and were flat shooting. We loaded one in the chamber and one in the mag tube. The biggest problem was cost. We found that we could make decent varmint loads by handloading the Speer 100 gr "Plinker" bullets with a Lee Loader at a fraction of the cost, and they were reasonably flat shooting.

Years later, I tried the 308 version in my FN FAL. Ballistics were similar to the 22-250. The petal on the sabot, though, would sometimes get peeled back while chambering, causing a stoppage, so I did not bother to use them for hunting.

Also tried the 30-06 version in a sporterized 1903 Springfield. This actually worked quite well. By this time I had a chronograph and these were doing around 4100 fps, so they were in the 220 Swift range. This was in the pre-Internet days, and this ammo was expensive and scarce, as most local shops did not carry it.

By the time I got set up with a proper varmint rifle, Remington had discontinued this ammo, so it all became a moot point. I have a 30-30 Accelerator in my cartridge collection, but, alas, didn't keep an example of the 308 or 30-06.

As far as accuracy goes, I found what Remington claimed to be true. The Accelerators were as accurate as the rifle they were shot in. Accuracy did not improve, but neither did it fall off.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Rick in Ohio ....

http://www.jdcomponents.com/prices/prices.html

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The BATF didn't like them at all because of the fact there were no markings on the bullet. The plastic would fly off the bullet and fall where ever. The BATF had the companies stop making them.

Keep them. Who knows they might come useful one day.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Auctioneer,

If you are correct, then why can I still buy the plastic sabots to load my own??

That being said, and with the number of crimes committed with rifles being so few, along with the fact that rifle bullets often are so badly damaged that a rifling match is all but impossible, why would the ATFE be interested?

I suspect it is an old wive's tale - no?

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of bullets shot without any markings on them... with the exception of rifle slugs fired from rifled barrels, shotgun projectiles won't have any markings on them. There are also adapters sold where you can use your shotgun to fire .38spl or even .22LR cartridges, so I doubt the ATFE was the reason those sabot cartridges were discontinued. Probably not enough profit margin.

13. Brian in Oregon

I guess BATF forgot to tell EABCO to stop selling the sabots, huh?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GPLfRrn2WHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a video of the terminal effects of the 30-06 Accelerator.

14. Auctioneer

The video didn't open.

15. Auctioneer

The switchblade is illegal to own because you can open it with one hand. BUT YET you have spring assisted knives that you just push a lever or use your thumb to open with one hand. One is legal and the other isn't.

The Accelerator falls in the same cat. One is legal and the other isn't. All I have to say on that is stock up and keep quiet. Someday you just might need them. Lets hope we don't but its nice to have them and not use them then not to have them and wish you did. Stock up and be ready.

The gov at times isn't that smart as we all know.

16. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

Thank you for all the information! I plan on hanging keeping them in my gun case with a few other odd ball items.

17. Auctioneer

Glad to hear that.

18. Brian in Oregon

Switchblades are not universally illegal. Please refer to the link.

19. Brian in Oregon

Please cite federal law that makes the Remington Accelerator unlawful.

I do not believe this is true.

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Show proof of your statement that those Remington Accelerators are illegal. It's a sabot and no different than all the other sabots on the market. I don't think you can prove that.

I deer hunt with Hornady SST Sabots that fire a 300 grain 45 caliber bullet from my 12 ga. Leaves no marks on the bullet.