1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ac with heat for my reloading building

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tulsey, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tulsey

tulsey Member

The air conditioner for my 12 x 24 foot shop building where I do my reloading has been having some problems. It is working now, but it started me thinking about a replacement. I lost my gas line for heating the building a couple of years ago so I have been using an electric baseboard heater since then and the baseboard heater takes forever to get the building warm. I have been looking at some of those AC units that also have the heat function, but have not found anyone around here who has experience with those. Would they work well enough to heat by building to work in or at least as well as the 3000 watt baseboard heater?

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

You will need to insulate, then the heating requirements will be reduced.

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Try looking at a ductless heat pump to provide heating and cooling 12k to 15k btu capacity should be able to handle unless something unique.
    Jim

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The heat pumps that you mention you are looking at work very well ... I had a Studio apt (30X22) many moons ago that had one and it kept it comfortable all year round ... It was mounted right in what would of been the air conditioner sleeve ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How much are those little heat pumps? Do they have to be professionally installed? I have the same problem with my 12X22' building (it's insulated). I use a roll around portable ac/heat unit. But, it doesn't work very well.

6. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

If you have anyone you know that does a/c work, have them price you a PTAC unit. I think that is what they are called. They are what is used in motels and have a heat and a/c function. You should be able to pick one up for $500-$750. You might also look on ebay or craigslist for used ones.

7. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got the type of unit you are asking about. My shop room its in is 16x16 with a 12 ft ceiling. AC works excellent, but it doesn't really pump out a ton of heat. It'll take the chill off in winter but doesn't really get it hot in the room. JW

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The newer units have a thermostat rather than Hi-Med-Low and are really quite functional ... I was told to mount it up high so it would blow the air around the room for best results and it worked fine, the vents are also adjustable ... I do not remember how much I paid for it but it was pretty reasonable to operate also but you have to keep the filter clean ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. kbud

kbud Member

Yes they are called PTAC's. If you do find one that costs $500-700, buy about 20 of them for me to resell. They typically cost about $750 wholesale price. They have an option of having heat pump capability or just electric resistance heat. They do very well and are very reliable.

Good luck with it

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You need to figure out the cubic feet of the building and how well its is insulated. Good, bad, poor, and have a A/C mech, do the figuring for you. He can then tell you how many BTU's you need for both to do the job you want. Then find out weather a window unit or a small permanent mounted unit would be best and how/wear you can install it. How much power do you have going to the building may be another problem as well. It cost nothing to have a pro come out and give you a estimate and find out about your power service. If nothing else you'll get the BTU's number you need to do it yourself after you find out about the powder as well. Get 2-3 estimates. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My shop is 24 x 34 and fully insulated and drywalled. I have a 45,000 btu propane heater mounted on the ceiling and a 100 gallon tank. I fill the tank (80 gallons) three or four times per year. I have a 10,000 btu 220 volt window air conditioner mounted through the wall. I run a dehumidifier in the Summer to keep the RH near 50 percent. I run a humidifier during the Winter and add about a gallon of water per day. Guns and machine tools are rust free. Works for me.

Jim Skeel

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Don't forget to humidify the air in the winter. This will solve a lot of inconsistant powder drop issues due to static build-up in the dry air.

ss

13. 193Shirt

193Shirt TS Member

Check your PM.

14. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Use a LG AC/heater in 24X24 insulated building. Works
    great.

Doyal

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

While I was in Japan a couple of summers ago visiting my daughter, I was amazed at the A/C unit she had in her apartment. Then I noticed that these units were everywhere there.

What amazed me was the quietness of the unit. I was often holding my hand up near the ceiling (the inside units mounts high up on the wall), to check to see if the unit was running because I could hear nothing. It was that I was awed at its silence when running.

Yesterday on eBay I was checking on these as I want to put one in my lower level to cool off and reduce the humidity here. I have hot water heat and no ductwork, so no A/C will work except a wall unit and they are ugly.

I searched on eBay for "ductless air conditioner" and found that these can be purchased as a split unit: A/C and heat. I was not scared of the price either. You have to drill a 3" diameter hole in the wall, mount the indoor unit, then the lines run to the outside unit. I was looking a a 220V unit (more efficient) and I have access to it.

I'll go now and grab a photo of one of them for you. I have had good luck with LG electronics stuff, so...

This is an A/C only, but they have at the site below A/C and heaters too and not much more money.

moderator_2008_030312.jpg

moderator_2008_030313.jpg

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Whiz,

Just bought one of those (different brand) for my house over here in South Africa.

Over here, its about the ONLY kind of A/C you can get for residential.

17. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Tulsey, Here we call them heat pumps. they are a ac unit with a way to change over to heat as well cool. Not any good below 25 or 30 degrees but you can add a heating unit in it also. A 220 heating element.Mine does well.I under stand the new ones will give you heat at lower temps than mine.They work like a freg they cool or change over and give you the heat like the bottom of the freg throws out.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Goodman PTAC Heatpump unit 14,000 btu cooling, 12,000 btu heating are wholesale $997 +tax and shipping. Sold by Johnstone Supply.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

TIMB99: Are your as silent as the ones I experienced in Japan? Man, I could not believe how quiet they were. Damned nera 100% totally silent, as I said I had to hold my hand up to daughter's unit to actually see if it was blowing cold air.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.