1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

AC coil cleaner?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Getting ready to fire up the home ac unit. Years ago the local hardware store sold some stuff just called "Coil Cleaner" that you would squirt on the coils of the ac coils to clean it. The big box stores put that place out of business and I just got back from HD and they never heard of it.

Just looking for a cleaner recommend to use on the coils? I've heard some household cleaners will damage the aluminum and copper in the unit.
  2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They have "Coil Cleaner" at the local WalMart ... Thank for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  3. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

There's two kinds of coil cleaner, well actually three, one is acid based, the other two are alkaline based, but one is for the condensor (outdoor) coil and one is for the evaporator (indoor) coil

The acid based condensor coil cleaner is pink, should be diluted per instructions,, and the alkaline based condensor coil is yellow, and the indoor cleaner is green

Now that I have got it all confused, you can use Simple Green or car parts stores sell some purple cleaner

But generally if there isn't a bunch of real thick dirt or grease on it water will wash it off clean enough to work fine, just don't use too much pressure and bend the fins

Been doing this stuff for 36 years
  4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Cat is correct less is more when it comes to cleaning coils and what you are putting on them.
    Jim
  5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks guys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.