Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Above what temp is 81/2 effective?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  hmb 
#1 ·
I use 81/2 magnum shot all year, & clay dot exclusively---will 1 oz of 81/2 @ 1200fps be effective to the 23 yd line,even if the targets have been sored near the 32F mark overnight---Phil

#4 ·
I do not think the temperature of the targets is a factor. The air temperature could be important. But, the lower ability of the smaller shot to retain a good pattern is somewhat off set by more shot in the charge. I would not be concerned with the size of the shot you are using.

Pat Ireland

#7 ·
Personally I prefer 9's from the 16yd and 1st. shot dbl's in any kind of weather. I have a friend who uses 8 1/2 shot on the 24 yd line in all weather and he smashes targets. Try it and you will know one way or the other. I believe that is what Neil was inferring. Ben

#14 ·
Anonymous Stud- Are you stating that you will pay me $10,000 to watch you stick a thermometer somewhere in your body? First, how big is the thermometer and how big is the place you stick it? You made a tempting offer, but I am not certain it is enough to make me watch.

Pat Ireland

#15 ·
00 Buck or 000 Buck works for me -- 3" or 3-1/2" works better - Obviously just kidding

Use what you like-- whatever is legal - and nothing else - but here is some general facts you should consider...

It is better to increase the powder charge as the temperature drops

Larger shot sizes retain more energy

just the facts - you figure out the rest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.