1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about trigger pull poundage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I just got my POLI sxs back from the gunsmith. He changed my trigger pull poundage from 2 lbs to 4 1/2 & 5 1/2. I didn't ask him to do this. I used to shoot 23/24 out of 25 birds in 5 stand and sporting clays. NOW I'm flinching and grabbing at the trigger. Will I get used to this or should I get back to my hair trigger that I LOVED?

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Shotguns should have a 4# to 5# trigger pull.

Jim Skeel

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I prefer a 3½ pound trigger. I feel comfortable mounting the gun and tightening my finger on the trigger before calling for the target without worrying about accidentally firing the gun during the move to the target.

MK

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A too heavy trigger will make you flinch big time. Instead of slapping it you end yanking it, and pull the muzzle right off the target line.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

4 to 5 pound trigger pulls help drive trapshooters to a release trigger quicker too! Especially when the springs begin to lose tension or pins wear changing the pull poundage!

Yvonne, why would your smith do such a thing? Sounds like a new smith is in order? Good pull triggers are about as rare as hens teeth!!

Hap

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

2 lb might be too light for a shotgun.

Mine were supposed to be set at 3.5 lb last time I had it in.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I forgot to explain, when the trigger doesn't break when you expect it to, because it is heavier than what your brain is trained to expect, you flinch just like you do when you pull the trigger and the cartridge doesn't fire, and for the same reason. Your brain is expecting a certain thing to take place at a certain time, and when it doesn't happen there is an involuntary flinch in reaction. I learned about heavy trigger pulls the hard way. I went from a lousy trigger to a decent one, and when I tried to shoot the old gun again I was flinching. A knowledgeable shooter asked, How's the trigger on that thing? I said Oh, it's fine...........but about 5 minutes later I realized he was right, it was indeed the lousy trigger on the old gun that was causing the flinching.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember the last time you pulled the trigger and the safety had been left on? The barrel was likely pointed at the ground and it felt like you'd almost broken the trigger off! ;-)

I'd get it fixed.

P.S Yvonne, someone has a bunch of shot bags on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/114-VINTAGE-CANVAS-LEAD-SHOT-BAGS_W0QQitemZ190474594149QQcategoryZ7308QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5480384390435893987

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why did the gun smith change the weight of pull? I would send it back and have him do a "system restore". HMB

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

yvonne,

I'd send the gun back and have the trigger(s) set to your preferance, not the gunsmith's!

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.