1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about trapshooting clinics.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My question is not about who's clinic to take but if one has already taken a clinic and wants to take another for some fine tuning.

Should a person take the 2nd clinic from the same instructor or a different one? Would the two different clinics clash and nothing would be gained? If anyone has had experience with two clinics (same or different instructors) what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks, Bill

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Trapshooting teachers/coaches are no different than grade/high school/college teachers. Students naturally respond or learn better and more efficiently from certain ones. My opinion is that if you felt the first clinic that you have taken was informative, that you received material well and you saw a positive influence with your scoring, then repeat with same insturctor.

Also keep inmind that the instructors on todays circuit have different methods and styles. Some will advise you to practice their style which has worked significantly for them. Others will work within your style and try to help you perfect what your comfortable with. A new shooter can learn easier/faster with former than can a shooter of years which latter will be easier for receiving knowledge and mechanics.

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I took the Harlan clinic 4 times so far.

I went back to school when I was 46 and the professor always said that the average adult learner needs to hear something about 17 times before they fully comprehend it. He may very well have been correct.

I learned something new each time I took the clinic. I'm sure that he said pretty much the same thing in each class but I might not have heard it just the same.

If you're a younger guy, maybe once is enough.

Bob

P.S. It also helps if you practice what you learn. I just haven't found the time lately while trying to get a new business up and running.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It all depends what you're problem areas are. One eyed shooters--go with Nora Ross. Shooters with eye problems go with Phil Kiner. Experienced shooters who want to bring their game to a higher level go with D&D. Shooters with gun fit problems go with D&D. Two eyed shooters who hold a high gun go with harlan Campbell. If you want to be humiliated go with Kaye.

Phil Berkowitz

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil... Although I have heard that before, it is still brutal (Ohye comment)

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have heard the complaints about Kaye. I have also taken his clinic a couple of times. I will relate this occurance as fact. I was having a lot of trouble with doubles and was shooting practice at Vandalia. Every pair got me more frustated. As I called for a pair, two hands grabbed my shoulders and turned my body to the second bird. It was Kaye, he said he had been watching me and saw my problems getting out of the gun by "arm shooting" the second bird. He remained behind me and coached me for the rest of the round. He probably would not want me to ruin his reputation with this, but he did it. My scores improved immediately. I will not do any more than nod at Kaye when he is shooting, I never try and talk to him when he is on the line. At other times he is quite cordial with me.

I have taken clinics from no less than 5 different shooters, I took something away from each, more from some, less from others.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I took 2 clinics from Kay in the 80's and got along just fine with him. He answered every single question I asked one on one. I talked to him again many years later at the Western Grand in Spokane and he still was helpful to me. I will not forget when he stood behind me and said, Now, Mike, that was a flinch! I was in denial for a couple of years before I got a release trigger. Did I mention that Nora Ross was working with Kay on that first clinic.

8. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I've taken a couple of clinics and will do it again. The very best one
    was with Leo Harrison III this past July. Two days of the best information
    I've ever got. He's supposed to come back out to CA this coming May or
    early June. I'll be the first to sign up for another 2 day clinic.

Mike C
    Groveland, CA

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I took my first clinic with Frank Hoppe, and two each with Phil Kiner and Britt Robinson. Phil's use of the video camera is a plus. Britt only has five students per clinic where Frank and Phil have ten each, so you'll get more one-on-one with Britt. All three recognize me and call me by name long after the clinic, and are willing to offer their time and expertise when I need help. I've even had Phil call me with suggestions after I posted a question on this forum. Any one of those three have clinics that are of value beyond the fees they charge. I'm sure there are several others who are very good, but I've only had personal experience with the three, and recommend them highly.

10. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If you have already taken a group clinic & are just looking for a tune-up, I think Pocatello's comment about more "one-on-one" time makes sense. Although it would cost more, a one on one personal session with a qualified instructor may be more beneficial & you wouldn't spend so much time watching several others shoot. John

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree with John06. I've taken clinics by three different instructors once - Nora and Pete McCall, Phil Kiner and Leo Harrison - and by Phil Kiner three more times and Nora and Randy twice more. Like John T., I honestly never failed to learn something. But now that my shooting isn't as good as it once was due to an eye problem, I feel I would need more one-on-one instruction to realize any improvement. I hosted two one-day Kiner clinics last year and have to say that it was the first time I left without feeling as thought I could shoot better. But in Phil's defense (not that he needs any), he did change a few things with my gun that improved my breaks, just not the number of them.

I guess there's something to be said for quality over quantity but I don't think that matters in trapshooting.

Ed

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I hosted two Harlan clinics in Aurora Mo. a few years ago. just worked the club the first one and I have to say that my shooting improved dramatically after that. Actually participated in the second one, more improvement. Then took Leos class, yet more improvement. The key is to actually implement what you learned and give it a chance to work. While they are not miracle workers, they are darned close.

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've taken 3 or 4 clinics and had some private lessons as well. I feel that every penny was well spent. I expect to do more in the future. Sometimes I saw immediate results and sometimes they took some time and not everything worked for me. Bill Malcolm

14. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

Anyone have a good # for Britt Robinson? The 806-998-5025 I had called him on previously has a "not a working number" recording on it today.

-Tim

15. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Would you suggest a newer shooter take these clinics or are they too advanced? If they are too advanced what is a good option for a newer shooter. This year will be my first full season of trapping shooting with about a hald season last year. The one downfall I notice is most of the clinics are for singles, handicap, and doubles. Being a new shooter I mainly want to concentrate on singles and handicap.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Is Leo Harrison a two eyed shooter? Does he hold high or low gun?

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The clinics are an exelent choice for beginng shooters. In my opinion they will start the shooter out on the proper fundametals of shooting.

Bill

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think we all have the tendency to fall back on the our own faults so a tune up clinic can't hurt. I have taken two Kiner clinics and came away from each feeling very positive about what I picked up. If I get the opportunity to take some other clinic by a pro other than Phil Kiner I would like to do that too. I don't think any one person knows all there is to know about this game.

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

they are like everything else. the more you put into it the more you get out if it. Then being able to put what you've learned to use, and not sit around and let it go stagnant. I could not imagine anyone not improving after a clinic.

20. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

If you are beginning to shoot trap, you might want to consider a DVD to get some information and basics.(You will not get individual instruction.) Of the 4 DVD's I've seen, Harlan Campbell's is the best.(This is from an instruction viewpoint. I retired as a superintendent and adjunct professor of education.) I have also attended Harlan's clinic. The video is similar to to his clinic. Phil Kiner's DVD is not nearly up to the high standards of the excellent clinic I took from Phil. It does have some pointers not mentioned by others. The DVD by Daro Handy is one of the more poor DVD instruction videos I have seen (I have seen hundreds of instructional videos. His book is much better.) It takes different strokes for different people, that's why there are different successful clinics.

From an educator's point of view, one size does not fit all!!!

Terry Sandlin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooting clinic