1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

About time for Dove hunting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 1oz, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oz

1oz Member

Ok the soybeans have gotten high ,hay fields are in between cutting Groundhog hunting is near stopped guess its time to start thinking about burning the wheat and cutting rows threw the sunflowers . Hybrid Sunflowers themselves look good but i can see I'm going to need to disc some to get rid of the weeds and to get some bare ground . Its our first year burning the wheat we have 3 or 4 acres of wheat surrounded with sunflowers . Hoping to have another great season as the last 5 -6 years have been great. What do some of you all plant ? Total 3 different fields 3-4 acres wheat right at 17 acres sunflowers.Hunting is good in central Va

2. philk

philk Member

1oz, whats your favorite load and choke for pass shooting, these are some little targets. Never hunted these before but my kid has gone a few times. Tough to find places to go in north central Indiana.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

1oz, we plant Pennington seed "Wingmaster Dove Mixture" which is a blend millets and sunflowers. We spray it with round up 3 weeks before the season and mow 1/3 of it the 2 weeks before opening day.

4. 1oz

1oz Member

Openning day we shoot 410's after that i shoot 28 gauge 3/4oz #8's average skeet loads . Dont know if that helps but we dont have high and fast until late season then the 20 and the 12's come out with anything from 6 - 7 1/2 at about the same speed 1145 -1200

5. philk

philk Member

One problem around here is that we will probabley be in a wildlife area. Nontoxic shot only so will need hevishot for the old Brownings. Dam that stuff is expensive.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would think small steel loads would not harm a browning. My friend uses BBB steel in his citori.

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

My better half says, "have fun & shoot your limit if you can, just don't bring any of those little flying livers home"! Give them all away!

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine (who is a chef, and a hunter) has a nice recipe for dove breasts.

Marinade overnight in a mixture of olive oil an dworcestershire sauce, and Montreal Steak Seasoning.

In a hot cast iron skillet, cook (briefly) on both sides, just enough to get it hot. The middle should still be deep red.

I tried a few before he told me what they were. I thought they were little bits of beef steak. Delicious.

9. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

If you really want to almost make it unfair, set up a "MOJO" decoy. Put the youngest hunter beside it and you will not believe how many doves flock to that decoy. The best way to cook them is to filet the breast, put a slice of jalapeno beside it, wrap in bacon with a toothpick, and barbeque. Even the wife will like them.

10. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Aggie,

That is the very best way to eat a dove. I don't think they should be cooked any other way.

Jack

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Aggie,

I do that with pheasant meat too, except we add to it by putting some cream cheese in with the jalapeno and the meat. We call them pheasant poppers.

That would definitely be a good way to prepare dove.

Cook until the bacon is done, and not any more, otherwise it dries out the meat.

Yum!!

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dove breasts and pheasant strips: Marinade in Italian or blue cheese dressing for 4 hours, a sprinkle of Lowry's seasoning, wrap in bacon (insert pepper optional),wrap in bacon, and BBQ. Try it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.