1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about Stevens Crack Shot 32 short

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200 tony, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Hi Guys and Gals

I have a Stevens Crack shot in 32 short. Serial # is 1xx. Anyone have any idea at the age of this rifle?

Thanks
    Tony Sabatino

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

most are 1880s to 1900 most have bad bores from black powder and were rim fire about all except the 22 ammo is no longer avaible rick

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

For rimfire ammo, try the Old Western Scrounger. It is (or was) made in South America.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I can help if you can provide some details.

What markings are on it, verbatim?

What kind of barrel does it have? Also, remove the forend and tell me the barrel profile underneath it.

What kind of takedown knob does it have?

Let's start there and I'll narrow it down some more.

5. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Thanks Brian

I will take forend off tomorrow. if you can e-mail me, I will send a pic

Thanks Again

Tony

6. Brian in Oregon

Send it to MMM_Sucks at lycos dot com (note the underscore in MMM_Sucks)

7. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Brian

You have Mail

Thanks Again

Tony

8. Brian in Oregon

There are three basic Crack Shot models. The first was the Model 15, which is a tip up action (renamed the "Stevens-Maynard, Jr." when the Model 16 came out). When that was discontinued, it was replaced by the Model 16, which is a side lever action (as yours is). The third is the Model 26, which is lever operated.

Stevens Catlogue of 1900 was issued on August 1, 1900, and it has the Model 16 first appears in it. It is possible the gun was available earlier, perhaps even in late 1899, but it does not appear in the 1899 catalog. I show it in my reproduction Stevens Catalogue Number 50 (1902) and Catalogue 52. The Model 16 crack Shot was made until 1910, when it was replaced by the Model 26 Crack Shot. However, Stevens must have made a surplus of the Model 16, because they appear in catalogs as late as 1911 and in special addendum catalogs, though the pages for the Model 16 in these catalogs are rubber stamped "Discontinued".

The Model 16 Crack Shot is a side lever operated rolling block action. The action is milled steel, and all were color cased (I note yours still shows color casing in the photos you emailed). A rare variation has a sliding safety on the top tang. Most made with this safety were subcontracted for other companies, such as "The Marvel" version.

The calibers are .22 Short (listed only in the 1900 catalog), .22 Long Rifle (all subsequent cataqlogs) and .32 Short Rimfire (all catalogs). Additionally, the 1909 and 1911 catalogs list the .32 Short Rimfire Shot Cartridge, and these models (offically called the Model 16-1/2) have a smooth bore and shotgun bead front sight. Catalogue 52 shows an option for the .22 Stevens-Pope Armory cartridge. I do not have any information on that cartridge. I would speculate that it was a special target cartridge, given that Stevens had hired Pope to make target barrels for them.

The barrel on all versions are take down. The barrels are step down in diameter in front of the receiver.

Some Model 16 Crack Shots were advertised as having an "automatic kicking ejector". I've never seen one, and several authorities on these rifles have never seen one either. The ones seen have an extractor operated in conjunction with the lever. This appears to coincide with the same feature on some Stevens Favorite models, circa 1907. This feature was discontinued very quickly because powder fouling, especially with blackpowder cartridges and in particular when .22 Short blackpowder loads were fired in the .22 Long Rifle chamber, rendered the feature useless and tied up the gun. The manually powered extractor did not have this problem.

Very early catalogs show a simple screwdriver slotted set screw, flush with the frame, being used for the barrel takedown feature. It was shortly replaced by a thumbscrew. One of the spotting features for the various versions of the Favorite rifle is whether the thumbscrew has a swivel or is plain. All the crackshots I've seen with the thumbscrew, in person or in photos, show either the swivel or a hole for it. Catalogue 50 of 1902 shows a thumbscrew with no swivel, as does Catalogue 52. Yet the parts page of Catalogue 50 shows the slotted set screw. My speculation is that there was a transition around 1901 from a set screw to a thumbscrew. I have no explanation for why some have swivels and why some only have the provision for a swivel.

The stocks are plain walnut, straight grip, with a hard rubber butt plate. Yours have had damage (there's a piece missing in front of the action) and have been refinished or resealed at some point.

The price throughout production was $4. Instead of a plain blade front sight and simple notch rear sight, a round "bead" (a round bar on a post) front sight and a shallow v-notch rear sight could be had for 35 cents each.

The Model 16 Crack Shot was never as popular as the Stevens Favorite. My guess is that boys tended to prefer the "American" lever action over the "English" side lever action, even though the Favorite cost $2 more (a lot of money back then).

Based on this, I'd say your gun was made between 1902 and 1910. It might be possible to narrow it down a bit more if you posted, verbatim, the exact wording on the barrel, as there are known variations in the company name.

9. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Brian

Thank You

For taking the time to answer to my question

Tony Sabatino

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
crack shot 26 barrel for trap
history of the stevens crackshot in 32 short rimfire
information on j stevens 32 short single shot crack shot rifle