1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about shooting with gas permeable contacts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziboy1, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Hi i just started wearing gas perm contacts and would like to know if anybody has any experience with them. So far it has been hard to get used to them, but with the astmigtism(sp) i have my vision is much better than with glasses. I would like to know if there are any draw backs to wearing them for shooting and if your scores were helped/hurt by them. thanks Steve Wolf.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I know a bunch of people who shoot with contacts and none have complained about their scores being affected by the contact lenses. Anything that improves your vison is a good thing. They also wear shooting glasses for protection.

Eric

3. TF

TF Active Member

I have worn them since 1981. In fact I was part of the FDA study for approval of the Boston Lens back then. Have had very few problems but I was a wearer of the old hard contact lens before trying them. My vision has been good and I have gone through the transformation to bi-focal lens over this time. I have shot with contacts mostly since 1971 and find that my vision and shooting are greatly helped by wearing contacts. Things are sharper and in better focus. When I shot registered my scores were greatly helped--Singles 98+, Hcp 92+ from 27, Dbls 95+. Won a Southern Zone singles title in 2000 with 200 and 75 in shoot off, and had 4 200's that year. However I have never been able to shoot 2 eyed because of astigmatism--the lenses have never completely corrected that problem. Since 2001 my finances have been dedicated to six years of college of my son and the resulting unemployment/underemployment which has followed. My shooting has ben limited to games and practice.
    Wearing lenses has also allowed me to own a variety of shooting glass lens colors and I beleive this has been a great help as well especially in low light or night shooting.

Good Luck and good shooting
    Tom Frazer

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I have had had gas perm lenses (w/astig) for over 30 years. Until I was about 48, all I needed was distance lenses. Then I got fitted for bifiocal gas perm. These are not for everybody and not as popular as other lenses. Also, because the fitting can take many attempts, not as many doctors recommend them.

However, they do last a long time,(3 or 4 years) and are durable; if fit well, they are less expensive than the cost of replaceable or disposable contacts, over their years of use, I believe.

Earlier this year, I started shooting again after many years, so I had new fitting and it was hard to get the balance for near & far-sitedness, but my doctor spent a lot of time with several different combinations for the bifocal combo.

That said, I use a separate set of gas perm lenses for trapshooting, distance only. The bifocals are not necessary, and the "distance only" lenses fit better.

If you can be fitted with acceptable contacts of any type, and they are comfortable, I believe this is an advantage because you can easily change shooting glasses lenses for varying conditions, if you are so inclined.

For example, last Tuesday, I shot in the gray misty conditions at Quaryville Pie shoot ( a great time ) but switched from my regular Ranger CMT lenses to light orange and the birds looked better. I also occasionally shoot at a place that throws green targets, so I use a different lens set there. Several pairs of prescription shooting lenses of various colors can get quite costly.

However, I will mention that at the Quarryville green bird pie shoot, I did not have enough time to switch lenses after the green bird was thrown for me, I just had to go ahead and shoot at it.

If anybody is interested in a good eye doc for gas perm lenses in SE PA, send me a PM and I'll pass my doctor's information along.

JS in PA

5. idoc

idoc Member

In most situations gas permeable lenses will afford you sharper vision than any other modality................Rich

6. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks for the good info everyone, ive only been wearing them for a few days so the comfort factor is still pretty low. My vision on the other hand is much better than with glasses. Looking forward to more input and trying them out next weekend shooting. Steve

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have been shooting with Accuvue Oasys for about 10 years now. I have some astigmatism but find them so much more comfortable than gas/perms. If more comfort is your desire, try a free pair from your doc and see if they offer you enough acuity for shooting. Can't hurt anything.

I started shooting with contacts, the hard kind, The first day I wore them, I broke my first 100 in singles. I couldn't believe how well I saw the targets. If you can tolerate contacts they will help your shooting.

Good Luck.

8. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

9. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

ttt one last time

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Heard of a gal that left hers in a drinking glass with some cleaning solution. Her hubby wanting a drink picked the glass up filled it with water and drank the contents lenses and all. Post-2

11. Barry C. Roach

That would be just a passing thing.

12. logndog

logndog TS Member

I used to wear soft lenses untill I found out that gas perms would help my vision, I then switched. Your right, the gas perms are uncomfortable but I do see better and they don't dry out like softs. I have a strong perscription (+6) so any little bit helps.
    Earnie Ross III

13. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

tried shooting today for the first time with the new contacts, and the results were pretty decent. 47x50 at 16s, didnt try handicap yet. New question, it seems that i will have to go with a darker lense than before. i usually wear lite target orange but that was WAY to bright. tried purple was a little to dark. Any suggestions would be great thanks in advance, Steve Wolf

14. Barry C. Roach

Medium Vermillion.

15. wanderer

wanderer Member

medium bronze. G.E.G>

16. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Dear 1150DB81 - eyes, color lens and brightness are very personal. As a Gas perm wearer, I am also more sentisitve to bright light, when the lenses are in. I almost always have to wear sunglasses when I am outside, unless it is cloudy.

I wear the ranger CMT lenses which I like a lot. However, recently on a rainy (pie) day at Oxford, I used light orange for more light, and this was better, that day.

You should take a color blindness test (one is available on another post here, or at your eye doctor's). I suggest that you ask other shooters if you can look through their glasses they'll have to take them off first).

Also, try the different colors by standing close to the targets, not back under the porch. Some people's eyes take several minutes to adjust to lens color changes, so allow for this. (don't just look for a few seconds)

Also consider your typical background(s).

If you are at a large shoot, there are often several glasses vendors. You can try different colors, over a period of time before you make your choices.

Good luck.

js

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've only shot once since I got mine but it was a bit getting used to it...I have a dry eye problem and as yet am not sure I could make it through a long program

18. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I ended up going with a lite purple lens and that worked great. I wish i had switched to contacts a long time ago, the vision and clarity is awesome. I shot a 50 bird event 25@16YD 25@25YRD and broke a 49. I havent broke better than 45 in the last 3 years. Now the true test will be this summer during the resistered season. Thanks again Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting with hard contact lenses