1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about Rio's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

? about Rio

I have been shooting some Rio's this year and just noticed while shooting singles at a registered shoot yesterday that some of the shells had 7/8 oz. of shot printed on them while others had l 1/8 oz. on them. The box top stated that they were 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8. All four boxes out of this flat were like this. I assume that the entire flat was like this. I didn't notice any difference in recoil and they broke the targets well. Anyone else seen this with Rio's or any other brand?

Steve

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You got what you paid for. Some of them might even work in colder weather, some not so well. Lots of people like them. I won't shoot them. One way to find out is to do the forensics and take the mismarked shells apart and weigh the shot. I would just give them away to the competition and use my own loads. There are too many things to worry about without wondering if your ammo is ok.

I'm sure the usual Rio Junkies will be around to respond trying to convince you it's all in your mind and that Rios are infallable. One will even try to insult me and put words in my mouth. Wait until you see the base wads halfway up in a fired factory shell, or have a whole bunch of bloopers in 30 degree weather. Mis-marked ahells could be the least of the troubles.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You don't have to cut them apart to see if they are the same. Just weigh them, if they weigh the same then they are the same. HMB

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Ikey, you little Irishman. Send me some of those red ones you've been hoarding and I'll quit shooting these blue ones.

Quack Shot, I agree that you usually get what you pay for and I won't belittle you or your opinion. I do reload about 3/4 of the shells I shot during the year, but I bought 15 or so flats of the Rio's so that I can toss the empties and not have to worry about them or space when others are traveling with me. I have not had any problems with their performance so far (my performance is another issue)lol.

Steve Elliott

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Beware of the Quacker. He feels that the Rio/Kemens are too dangerous to shoot new or reloaded. Your gun will blow up in revolt because you were thinking about buying a case of these shells.

TB

p.s. now watch the flames.... Oh how I love needling Quacker

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

? about Rio

As has been pointed out "7/8 oz" is what was printed on the hull and not necessarily what was inside. Weigh them.

MK

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

More than likely someone placed the 7/8 oz marked hulls into the l l/8 oz. loading machine by accedent. I also say weight the entire shell they are more than likely all the same. They just started makeing or should I say assembleing these shells here in the US. They used to be all made in Spain. I never heard of this problem when they were made there. If they were 7/8 oz. loads I'm sure you would have noticed a difference in recoil while you were shooting them. Better luck with your next batch. Break-em all. Jeff

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I have been shooting Kemens for many years and NEVER had a misfire and they pattern consistently. Also very clean.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Was those shells marked 7/8 oz. in English or Spanish?

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Mrskeet, they were in English. The 4 boxes I shot out of that flat were all a mixture of shot weight(as far as print on the hull) in the same box. I have one flat left unopened. I'm going to check those here shortly. Steve

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Damn, Ikey, after you and Merlyn pressured me into buying that gun, I haven't been able to afford to shoot anything else. It seems like any time the three of us end up at his trailer; I end up with a different gun. Guess I'm just a slow learner. LOL----Steve

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

AATrap, if affordability is an issue then save up till you can purchase one good box of ammo.

If however you have several flats left, for Ikey's sake, find an old Ivery Johnson.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Welcome back TBaby! Glad to know you are still delusional as usual. Hearing things that aren't there and still shooting and reloading crap. The mismarkings are just another sign that quality control is on a back burner. And YES, I would NOT shoot that stuff in my old worn out H&R. My theory is that the heat and sun down there in Florida have really toasted your brain. Stay out of the sun and you might recover, or not. Drink plenty of fluids and don't forget to unzip before you pass water, unless you are wearing your pink TuTu. In that case you can figure it out.

As for me, I'd rather eat a few less McDoubles and buy a box of real shells. Life is too short to spend your time worrying about your ammo.

It really sucks when you can predict the future and it only pertains to a Rio Junkie. (see my first post) :) Maybe TBaby would like to get fanatical about Powerball or Megamillions?

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Hey, Martin, I've saved enough for half a box of STS's. You have an Ivery Johnson for sale or to loan me until I can buy a full box? LOL

Tell Devi Hi.

Steve

15. holdumpleas66

holdumpleas66 TS Member

I started shooting rios because of the cost savings,98 singles average,92 caps from 27,i like them as well as sts or aas no problems at all

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Just opened the last flat of these I have. They are from the same lot and each box contains shells with 7/8 24g markings and 1 1/8 32g. I weighed several of both and they weigh the same. Evidently a mix-up on hulls.

Steve

17. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I guess no one here has ever gotten in to a 12 pac, and had one that not all the cans matched the label.

Some yaahoo, doing their job half ___, not paying attention to the task at hand, grabs and dumps whatever they can reach unto the line..........

let someone else resolve the conflict caused cause it just aint their job to worry about IT!

Al

18. kolar1

kolar1 TS Member

NEVER HAD A STS BLOOPER AA GO POOF COME ON GUYS YEAH RIO IS CHEAP BUT FOR THE PRICE TO PRACTICE WITH.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have had AA's that had split brass that would not go in the gun right out of the box. Every shell manufacturers has a problem once in awhile.

TB

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

TB

Exactly. And NONE of them do much about your problem. Well, that is not quite fair. I got a $10 gift certificate from Winchester to compensate me for a dud (and the rest of the box I gave them to "investigate"). The dud occurred during the Kolar Shoot-off at the 2009 Grand. I was SOOOOOOO very grateful.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.