1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about Remington sts shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I picked up 4 boxes of these yesterday, Highest priced shells on the shelf at $8.50 a box. I usually just shoot the cheap Federals are these shells that much better or are you just paying for the name?

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

With the STS shells you get a better quality of components ( shot & wad ) and better quality control than the cheap promo loads.

From 16yds, I don't see a significant difference. Further back they start to show.

Another thing is the variety of loads. The promo loads are only in a couple of configurations ( 1 1/8 oz @ 1200 fps ) where the STS shells come in a number of shot weights and velocities.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

And another reason to buy STS shells is that the hulls are good for many more reloads than Estates or other promo shells. I will echo that the shot is very high quality.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington Gun Clubs will reload just as maany times as an STS hull. Maybe even a few more times. HMB

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The STS shells became popular because of their reloadability. Winchester quit making a one piece hull and went to a two piece. Also the plastic in Win. seems to be more brittle(at least they split much worse). The STS hull has become THE hull to reload. Winchester hulls do not reload as well or last nearly as well. The Gun Club reloads almost as well as the STS but has an aluminum base now. I don't think I could pay 8.50 for STS though! When I buy new shells,I usually go with Gun Club---load them about 3 times and chunk them!

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you don't need the hulls and can get a nickel or more per hull... your cost just dropped to $7.25 or less... for the most part, the adage has traditionally been...

"it's not the arrow, it's the Indian"... but with with the refinement in equipment, a quality shell can add a bird or two if the right Indian can take advantage of that shell...

Are you that Indian?!

Jay

7. Franktri

Franktri Member

I used to reload the AAs but, as said above, they're more brittle and crack at the crimp more quickly than the Gun CLubs and STSs. I reload the STS and Gun Clubs exclusively and they load very well and last much longer than the AAs.

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Gun Clubs do reload well. My only concern is putting a steel base in my guns. I prefer the STS/AA/Gold Medals for their brass bases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.