1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?about Remington 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

gunsmith says on my 870 there are 2 small pieces one on each side of the slide that are wore allowing the action to fall about an inch when set on the butstock. He said if I would order them he would replace them in about 10 min. but I can't figure out what they are called anybody know.

2. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

You can google Remington 870 parts and see diagrams and then identify the parts he is talking about. He should be able to tell you what parts. hope this helps

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

This should only be possible when the hammer is back (cocked),check the "action bar lock spring" in the trigger assembly, if it is broken this condition can occur. This is the spring that holds (pushes) the action bar release into place against the nubs on the end of the action bars, the nubs could also be worn (rounded over) to the point where they won't (can't) engage solid enough. If that's the case then you need a new action bar, (the tube with the 2 slide bars attached to it) not a major repair. Ross Puls

4. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

This only happens when it is not cocked

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

targetmaster: I've never seen that happen, guess I'll have to study this one out some more. The slide plate that the bolt sits on hooks into the notches in the action bar, so if the hammer is released (in the fired position)it should be holding the complete (bolt-slide-action bar assembly) ahead. If I get anymore ideas I will post them. Ross

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

targetmaster: PM me a phone # and a good time to call,I think I've got it figured out but too much typing for a hunt & peck guy like me. chuckle---Ross Puls

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If the hammer is not cocked, the action should fall freely open. It is just getting worn in. I believe the parts he is referring to are called shell latches. These are the parts inside the open receiver, you have to depress, in order to remove the forend assembly. First the right, pull the forend out slightly, then the left. They are made from spring loaded steel. These parts when severely worn, can become very sharp.

Easiest thing to do, would be to ask the Smith what they are called. If it is just one small part, I would guess it is the ejector spring. This is a spring loaded steel piece that puts pressure on the bolt, until the bolt is drawn back far enough to put the pressure on the shell, to eject it.

Either way, I think you are worried about something that is really not a problem right now. It is just worn in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.