1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? about recoil reducer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by NU2Shooting1027, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Just bought a used Browning XT Trap with adjustable comb. Finally shot it for the first time today and I need to add some length to the stock. Was looking at the Gracoil systems and was wondering about the BreaKO recoil reducer. I have heard that if it virually elimates any felt recoil. Is this true? Also what size/weight do I need to get? Any help would be appreciated. (Drop XX if e-mailing me.)

Thanks,
    Allan

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Allan, a noticable reduction in recoil is attainable, but elimination is wishful thinking.

Buz

3. NU2Shooting1027

I know it's not going to eliminate all the recoil, it really isn't all that bad the way it is now. But since I'll be adding the Gracoil LOP adjustable pad I was wondering if it's worth spending the extra $50 for the BreaKO recoil reducer. I think I'm going to get it but not sure whether I should get the 10 oz. or 14 oz. weight.

Allan

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Be sure to take the adjustment screw into account when adding to the stock.

If the XT is bothering you, how about using slightly lighter loads?

5. NU2Shooting1027

Shooting Coach, the recoil isn't bothering me. It's the length of the stock that is too short. I need to add a Gracoil LOP adjustable pad (without cutting the stock) and was just wondering if it was worth the extra $50 for the BreaKO recoil reducer.

Allan

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have tried every recoil device known to man. The Break-o is a good product. Worth $50.00 though? Not to me. Have you ever thought of a Precision Fit Stock? If you need length and recoil reduction it is the best choice! The downfall is it costs $1295.00. I believe that any weight in a gun stock reduces recoil. I don't buy into the mercury hype. I have put solid steel and lead in the bolt hole, and both work great! I make a solid steel weight in any configuration you may want. I charge $25.00, and that is shipped to you. Let me know if you would like one!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

7. NU2Shooting1027

Matt thanks for the advice. A PFS is more than I paid for the gun! Think I will get the Gracoil adjustable plate butt and then figure out what to do from there.

Allan

8. NU2Shooting1027

I'm figuring on atleast 3/4" inch if not more. I have long arms and a long neck.

The link above is what I am looking into, I will NOT cut the stock so I'm looking at 9/16" added for the unit plus an adjustment to move it out some more. Refuse to cut the stock.

Allan

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Allen,
    I believe that the Graco LOP adjustment plate system that you're talking about only adds approx 1/2" to the stock and them can be screwed out another 1" for a total of about 1 1/2". The reducer that you're looking at attaches to the inside of the adjustment screw, requiring an axtra deep hole in the stock. I think that you'll be limited as to which weight reducer you use, based on the ability to drill the hole and avoid the stock bolt. I've done many of them and, in some cases, have found this to be a stumbling block. Good luck with you're project.

Ed Yanchok

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

I did exactly what you're contemplating; I wanted to be able to adjust the length of pull and be able to turn the pad to better keep my head straight. So long as Graco was going have the gun, I just went ahead and had them add the Breako (14 oz) to the package. Even if the mercury doesn't do what they claim, at least I added 14oz weight to the gun and cut the recoil that much. An additional benefit that I didn't think of at the time was that the added weight in the stock seemed to make the gun (32" barrels) swing a little smoother. If you don't need the full Graco recoil reducer treatment I think the $50 is worth it.
    John

11. NU2Shooting1027

Thanks for the info. guys, I'm gonna call around to some gunsmiths tomorrow and see what they think.

Allan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.