1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about pre 64 model 70

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jun 19, 2013.

1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

A man is wanting to sell me what he says is a pre 64 model 70 and I just wanted to make sure it was. The last 4 digits of the serial # is 1963 seeming like that says it all but I just wanted someone who knows to confirm it. Thanks

2. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Here are 2 sites that give dates of manufacture.

http://proofhouse.com/

http://www.winchesterguns.com/library/articles/detail.asp?id=401

Jim

3. Crunch

Crunch Member

I believe it is any Model 70 under serial number 581471 that are considered pre-64

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Is the extractor inclosed in the bolt face, or is it on the outside of the bolt like the old Mauser type extractor. I have always been lead to believe that the standard calibers in pre 64 all had the mauser type extractor.

5. Crunch

Crunch Member

All pre-64 model 70's had the Mauser type long claw extractors. That is one of the features that was changed after 64.

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Cruch

Was any model 70's of any caliber made after 1964 with the Mauser claw type extractor? I have not kept up with the changes after 64. My son-in-law just bought a model 70 in .458 Winchester that looks absolutely brand new, and he thinks it is new, but with the claw type extractor I thought it was a pre 64.

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Model 70's were made after 64 with the claw extractor. I believe they're called the Model 70 Classic. I have a Model 70 Extreme with a claw extractor that is current. It's stainless with a fluted barrel and composite stock. There may be others too

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The last four numbers of the serial number mean nothing. What is the serial number??

9. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

If the serial Number starts with G it is Post 64.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What we need is say 267XXXX. That way you will not give us the full S# but the first 3 and how many other number with the X's. We can then tell you what year it was made.

11. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Note "Crunch's" response regarding the serial # and early claw extractor (yes Wichester brought it back later).
    A picture or two will confirm it.
    There's a huge difference.