1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about my 870 trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I shoot an 870 TC and I got the gun second hand. I only shoot about 1000 rounds a year through it but I have noticed lately that the forearm keeps working loose and when you set it down the pump falls about an 1" down by its self. Is it wore out or is this just normal wear for a pump gun? Thanks

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

In what way are you saying the forearm is loose?

As far as wear being indicated by the action opening up, Model 31's did this when set on the butt stock. That was because of their fantastic design. A butter slick action usually is preferred. It is just worn in, more than likely. If it is worn significantly the action would probably open all the way, on an 870. When parts are worn in the action area be careful depressing the spring release, inside the receiver to take the forearm off, as this can become sharp as a razor.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

targetmaster: Check the action bar lock spring, it's in the trigger assembly, should stay "up" when you close the action. If it's broken or weak it will allow what you describe to happen.

It is normal (at least not unusual) for them to drop open when you intentionally push the release to remove a live round from the chamber. Ross Puls

4. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

It's just when you set it down on the buttstock the pump drops down a little probably about an inch.

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

targetmaster: If the action bar lock & spring are good check the "nubs" on the end of the action bar itself, they may be worn. Otherwise maybe you're just not closing it with enough "authority" on an empty chamber. The hammer will hold it closed on a fired round, what you describe should only happen when the hammer is cocked. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.