1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about loading Win AA HS 20 ga. hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3dram8, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I've heard that loading 12 gauge Winchester HS AA's with the separate base wad should only be done on a reloader that uses a ram to push down on the base-wad to seat the primer into the primer pocket. This type of reloader (e.g. MEC) is supposed to be necessary to insure the base wad being/staying seated tightly on the bottom of the hull. I've also heard that loaders like the P-W which do NOT use a ram against the base wad can allow for a loose base wad of the HS hull to permit powder to get underneath and then on occasion the base wad could actually be propelled down the barrel and lodge there creating a dangerous situation. My question is whether this is only related to the 12 gauge or could it occur with the 20 gauge HS hulls as well? Thanks for the help. ....Rick

2. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

First of all, let me say I only load with MECs. Second, I have actually found some of the new 12 gauge AA hulls with the basewad not seated. The first was AFTER the priming station, and the base was high enough that the shot spilled out as that hull cycled to the crimp start station. All that to say this, the ram thing won't necessarily work, and I ONLY SHOOT NEW AA HULLS FROM A BREAK OPEN GUN, so I can look down the barrel after EVERY shot. With that out of the way, I've never seen a 20 gauge hull do that.

Jed

3. skeet100

skeet100 Member

The 20 HS hulls I loaded with my normal Claybuster, and other Winchester copy wads, would buckle the HS cases above the metal head. I read were several reloaders were changing to another wad when going from old style AA 20's to HS hulls.

I load on a Mec Grabber.

I lucked into seveal 1000 old style and haven't had to deal with it yet.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

The old AA 20's are some mighty fine hulls.............

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I believe the wad separation was in early WW AAHS 12 hulls only, and Winchester quietly fixed the problem. I have not heard of it lately, nor have I have I heard of it occurring on 20 ga HS hull.

Try the Downrange DRV 20 wads if you are having trouble fitting everything in the WW AAHS 20 hull. I have not experienced any buckling with this combo.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I have been using the new 20/28 powder and a claybuster AA20 wad. I like the 20/28 better than my old powder, Universal, and use it in my 28 gauge too. I adjusted the wad pressure, precrimp and final crimp to get a quality reload, but it's worth it. Have not had any basewad problems with the 20 gauge hulls.

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Well, I think I found a recipe that I like for the 20 gauge. AA HS hull, 7/8 oz. of 8-1/2's, 16 gr. PB, Rem RXP 20 wad, and Win. 209 primer. This is right off the IMR website. Everything fits together perfectly with a nice tight level crimp, and does this load ever crush targets! Clean too! ....Rick

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I'll second the Downrange DRV 20 wads in the AA HS 20's. Perfect everytime.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The solution to the problem is to use WSF powder, it has the correct volume which stops the wad from going too deep into the hull. HMB

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm loading AA HS 20's with a MEC jr, and I'm buckling hulls, too. I'm going to try the DRV 20's. Thanks for the info.