1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about Kentucky

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hrosik123, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I was thinking about relocating from New Jersey to Kentucky. Was hoping to hear the good and bad points of the state. Crime, taxes, hunting and fishing, work and the such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Chuck Hrosik

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Kentucky is not a low tax state in that it has a state income tax of around 6% plus the major cities have occupational license taxes. The sales tax is 6%. Property taxes are probably a lot lower than New Jersey. There are lots of hunting and fishing opportunities on public waters and land plus there is very good hunting on private property if you have connections.

Housing costs are lower than most states and medical care around Louisville is world class for heart related issues.

Crime is low except in certain areas of the larger cities. We have great basketball and an excellent state park system.

There is some ATA trap shooting but there is a lot of "games" shooting and non registered shooting. In "games" shooting, the competition is significant.

Ed Ward

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Thanks Ed. Appreciate the feedback. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

4. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Good fish, deer and turkey hunting. Jobs not so good. Crime depends on where you live some places or worse than others but overall it a good place to live. 6% sale tax, propety tax depends on where you live in KY it seem high but I don't know how it would compare to NJ.

5. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Ask Biff he's been there longer than most!

TNCoach

6. Murphy

Murphy Member

Louisville Ky. has just been voted 9th best city in USA to live, our private schools are great and so are a couple of the public schools. Cost of living is very reasonable. Very nice gun club in Louisville area, trap, skeet, sporting clays. Very nice golf courses, public and private. Lived her all 64 yrs. would never leave. Come join us.

7. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I love it here, everything said above is fact. Can be very hot and humid Louisville just set a record high of 102 yesterday, at times the winters can be bad but nothing like NJ.

I have lived here for 40 years and good Lord willing I'll be here another 40.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It sure is one of the most scenic states. But, how does one learn the accent.

9. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Moved to the Berea area from Wisconsin about 8 years ago. I shoot mainly at Central which is about 4 miles from my house. Otherwise I shoot at BlueGrass Traps, about an hour drive. I don't shoot games although I hear there are many. I have met some really nice people shooting.
    Golf is first class with some reasonable green fees.
    We live on a dead end road ( it is paved, but narrow ) with a mountain range across the street. Very nice. Housing is cheaper, taxes lower. I miss the wider roads of WI, but I am getting used to the narrower roads.
    It does get hot for a few weeks, but I will take that over a WI winter. Really hate snow now. We get a little from time to time, but it usually melts in 24 hours.
    It is very centrally located and in a days drive, I can get to a lot of the US.
    I don't think there is much more crime here than in most areas.
    However, you will need a translator for the first few years. I am still not sure what some of these folks are saying.
    You will love it here. Nubs Wagner

10. Biggray

Biggray TS Member

Born and raised in the bluegrass. I live in Western KY. Lots of trap ranges around and good people to shoot with. Jobs are tough to find here, but the price of living is a lot less than other states. Just like anywhere, we have our fair share of bad, but all in all a great place to live.

The more away from the "big" towns, the lower the housing prices are. I would recomend KY to anyone and everyone.

11. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I was born in Carlisle County on the Mississippi river and moved to PA as a teenager. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could find a good job. PA is great for hunting and fishing and has way more public ground but over run with Jersey and New Yorkers trying to shoot whatever moves. Just kidding. You can buy a nice house and some acreage for under $250,000 in Western Ky. There is more water to fish in than you could possibly cover in your lifetime. The hunting is awesome as long as you can hook up with some farmers. The quail and waterfowl hunting isn't what it was when I started hunting, but is coming back. The Ky Fish and Wildlife officers care more about getting people out hunting and fishing, and not arresting them for every nit picky little thing like Pa. Paducah has a noce trap club but I've never been because my dad has his own.
    As for the accent, you can pick it up in a few short years. It's much thicker in the western part of the state. Louisville is a great area, although more expensive to live. Oh, and pronounce it Lou-a-ville. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.