1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

About Jollytrapshooter and Mid-Iowa Machine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Okay, so a lot of people on TS.com know me by my user name. A lot have purchased various products from me and have talked with me via email and a couple over the phone. But no one (besides a couple of people on here who I shoot with) actually knows a whole lot about me and my company.

My name is Josh, I'm 21 years old and I reside in central Iowa. I've been involved in metal working since I was about 15 years old. I took a metals class in high school and have been hooked ever since. Around my junior year, a friend and I got our hands on an old South Bend Heavy 10 lathe and began making random parts in his garage (this is about the time we began making snap caps and selling them). After high school I, along with my friend, jumped right into college and both earned our Associates degrees in tool and die making.

We have since acquired a few more machines, brought another acquaintance on board and started a business, which we called Mid-Iowa Machine, LLC. We are a machine shop specializing mainly in firearm accessories, but do just about anything from prototyping to short run production to welding and fabrication. We've got one product that is sold through an Iowa based company called "Sinclair, International" (a Brownell's owned company) but our other products are sold directly by us.

I currently work a normal full time job for a local machine shop as a machinist, and the other two work part time and do odd jobs here and there as well as keep an eye open for work for our shop. They're also working on earning engineering degrees from ISU.

The reason I'm writing this whole long winded post is because over about the past year, I've kind of avoided the site. I haven't been too involved with advertising my services or my products due to a little issue with an over ambitious idea I had about producing replacement ribs for the adjustable Perazzi guns. A couple of local ts.com'ers were nice enough to lend me their ribs to take measurements from, hoping they would get first shot at the prototype...Honestly, the idea never got past the measurement stage and basically died after I realized I still didn't have near enough equipment, nor the time needed to get such a project off the ground.

At this point for the business, we are working towards getting our FFL so we can design and manufacture more "advanced" accessories for the shooting community. I am also looking into doing paid advertising here on Trapshooters as well as other sites. But until we get our "big break" in this business, we are keeping it a part time venture.

If anyone wishes to ask me any questions, feel free.

As a side note (or a foot note, I guess) I didn't write this post as an advertisement, if anyone happens to accuse me of doing such (or of wrong doing of any kind on my part), everything will be deleted and I'll forget I ever even mentioned it. I just feel anyone who is looking to purchase one of my products, whether it be a pair of snap caps or one of our custom add on ribs, deserves to know a little about who they are buying from. I have dozens of very satisfied customers thanks to this site, and I plan to keep providing the excellent products and customer service for years to come.

Thank you to all of my past and future customers.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year.

Josh

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Up for a person that is trying hard to succeed

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Good Luck to you and your company, Josh.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Too bad that most of our young folks today don't have his drive and ethics. Good Luck to you Josh

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice snap caps. TTT for Josh.

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have had Josh install five of his ribs on my guns and my wife's.

First of all, he's a very pleasant young man to deal with. And, I couldn't be more pleased with the ribs. Then, too, his price is very reasonable. And, he does the ribs quickly and gets them back to me in a couple of weeks from the time I send the barrels to him-sometimes less. He also kept me informed about what he was doing and I knew when to expect each of the ribs back.

All in all, I can't think of a single negative in any of my dealings with Josh. Several of my fellow shooters at the Dollar have commented on the quality of his ribs and expressed an interest in having him do their barrels after the shooting slows down in late March.

I expect to have Josh do more barrels for me in the future.

Bob

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Jeff, while I didn't grow up on a farm, I've always lived in and around a small town. I worked for my dad at his auto body shop during the summers in high school and was happy I always had something to keep me busy.

Unfortunately, Iowa hasn't been the greatest place to be in the field of machining/manufacturing for the past few years. It seems like a ton of local manufacturing has been shipped overseas. But very recently I've heard and seen more and more smaller companies looking to hire (or at least before all this "fiscal cliff" stuff started).

I tell people everyday that I love what I do and couldn't see myself going into any other field. I think it's awesome that I can look at just about anything and tell someone how it was made. It just doesn't seem like anyone appreciates (or cares) what machinist do and what affect they have on everyone's everyday life.

I forgot to mention in my first post that we plan on introducing a handful of new products sometime this year. We're not sure exactly when yet, but keep an eye open.

Josh

8. ouch

ouch Member

Josh made me 3 add on ribs that are 100% what I requested, At a very good price, With prompt proffessional service. I highly recommend his servives. Richard

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What is the maximum length rib you can make?

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Brian, I now have the capabilities to do up to 32 inches, either aluminum or ABS.

Thanks, Josh.

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

hey josh. I just love the attachment method on that one rib with the tie wraps. I really think that black tie wraps would work better. OK I know it is only a mock up but thought it cute to mention it. motordoc

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone was wondering Josh DOES shoot trap and sporting clays.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who ever heard of a "Jolly Trapshooter" ? They are moaning and bitching most of the time.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Joe, That doesn't usually happen until their past 40 or they get married. His snap caps are tops! :)

15. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Ah, I forgot to mention that, I've shot trap and sporting clays since I was 15. I shot on my high school SCTP team, which was started my sophomore year. The past couple of years I haven't shot a whole lot of trap, but I'm looking to get back into it this spring.

Josh

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

Several years ago I had Josh make me a add on rib for the Kolar that I was shooting at the time. He did a first rate job even with a slight change that I requested mid project. The work was first rate and done on time. Everything fit perfectly first time. I was impressed with Josh then and he continues to impress me to this day. I fully expect him to be one of the big "go to" names if he decides to continue in this field.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mid-iowa machine