1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

About JOEL ETCHEN's Custom 687 II Trap Comb

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap3832, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap3832

trap3832 TS Member

I am looking for a new Trap gun which better than entry level(the range of $2000 - $4000), but there are a lot of choices such as BT, XT, 687, or 682...

I am interested in Joel Etchen's Custom 687 II top single or unsingle Trap Combo.

If anyone shoots(or has experience of) the Custom 687 II Trap gun, tell me about what you think? Do you enjoy it? Any comments about Joel Etchen Gun Shop?
    Is it worth to get it? Did you modify it to make it better?
    Please let me have your opinion or any information? Thank you. - Joe

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I have never dealt with Joel but know more than a few that have and each and every one of them have been as happy as an affectionate soldier on liberty in a town full of wanting and willing young ladies.

I highly doubt you could go wrong with anything you would get from him.

3. bobalouie

bobalouie TS Member

I'm a relatively new shooter and have been getting coaching from AverageEd (Ed Clapper). He pointed me to Joel Etchen and on 7/5/07 I bought an 687 SP II Unsingle combo from Joel. My combo has Joel's after market adjustable comb with super solid hardware. I made an appointment to meet Joel and he helped me make a selection, set the rib on my Unsingle barrel and set up my comb. Super friendly and professional outfit there.

I previously only once ran 25 straight targets (using Ed's son's Joel Etchen 687 SP II Top single) but since I've acquired the combo, I've run 3 25 straights. I finally appreciate all the advice about the proper setup and fit this gun gives me.

This gun shoots soft and points quite well for me. I'm very satisfied with the quality of this product.

I give Joel Etchen a 10 for his no pressure sale and his combo a 10 for it's features and value.

4. slik

slik TS Member

I bought a used 687 SP II combo (top single) 30"/34" this past March from Joel. I think it is a lot of gun for the money.

I am very happy with the way it shoots doubles, singles and handicap. The previous owner had the double bbl ported and it has an adjustable comb. I did add almost a pound of weight, I like a heavy trap gun.

If you tried the gun and liked it, I see no reason not to get one. Joel was professional and fair. What more can you ask for.

So you know, I am not an ace, but have shot for a while and looked at a lot of Trap guns before I bought this one.

D. W. Sliker

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I bought one of the 687 34/32 unsingle combos from Joel Etchen this spring and I'm VERY happy with the gun and the dealings with Etchen. If you get either the top or un-single I recommend you have an adjustable comb installed at Etchen's. They do a BEAUTIFUL job and use good metal (appears to be Graco) comb hardware. I also added a Jones adjuster and Kick-Eez pad and increased the pitch myself but I'm sure you could have Etchen do that too. Also had the triggers tuned up by Phillip Crenwelge.

Get one, you'll LIKE it!

John C. Saubak

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

My dad got back in the ATA game after 30 years...I thought the Etchen combo looked like a good value for the money, so I talked him into one.

He likes it so much he took Non-resident runner up at the Alaska State Shoot last week. This after not shooting registered trap since 1973.

GREAT GUN FOR A GOOD PRICE....go for it....

Way to go, Dad!

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Like the others posting before me, I am a SP2 owner and glad of it. Had mine for 2 years, only thing that went a little goofy was last month the inertial trigger spring broke, but Joel's staff helped me get back in the game real quick. I think the gun itself looks great, and seems to get great results. If you get a chance, pattern all three barrels to see if they shoot where you want them to. I have a neck that looks like I have been hung twice, so I put a modified adjustable butt plate (Morgan) on mine to help with the needed offset, but other than that, just load'er up and go break some clay.
    If you have questions, you can e-mail joel and he will get right back to you; he did for me. If you want to ask any specific owner questions, please feel free to give an e, just drop the X's
    XXdennisr@cswst2.comXX
    Dennis

8. trap3832

trap3832 TS Member

Thank you for information and help. - Joe

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

bought my 682 combo from joel. great people.

brett d.

10. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

DITTO.....I have bought 5 different gun setups from Joel and Mark...GREAT to do business with...I am currently shooting the 687 32/34 Top Single..Won my class in doubles for the first time, made Trap and Field magazine!!...getting my AA back this month..and backing up is the thing to do..more punches on the way...Oh, By the Way..I live this gun..I did upgrade the case to an Americase, and I had Mark put their adjustable comb on it, along with a LIMBSAVER pad...

11. genet1

genet1 TS Member

Joe,
    Here is what I know.

I have purchased the 687 II top single combo for my wife and i have purchased the 687 II Un-single combo. We enjoy them greatly.

I had the stock cut to fit me on the un-single from the gunsmith that works close with Joel on custom work like mine. I traded in a 682 top single combo for this gun and have found it to be all that I could want. As far as someone to deal with these guys are all top notch and can't find a problem with anything that they sold us it was very easy. I will go back to them.

Gene

12. leadvail

leadvail Member

I like my combo (top single ), adj. comb, 32"/34" but I think I would like un-single better .
    Had shot for 3 years now , 20,000 + rds . Took Co. state Champion class run - up this year and now AA .I use double under for singles and 1st. d.Single for caps .
    Bob S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

joel etchen 687 spii

joel etchen adjustable comb