1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? About Estates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

In the past several years,I have shot numerous flats of Estates without any problems. I just recently purchased 20 flats from Cabela's. Last Sunday I was at a registered shoot. I shot the Estates for handicap and second shot of doubles. 150 rounds and had 5 that would not go off. All shells had the primers seated too deep. These shells were tried in several different guns without any firing. I have seen this with some Gun Clubs in the past, but never the Estates. Has anyone else shooting these shells had the same problem that I encountered?

Thanks

Steve

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, I would contact Federal and complain about this, give them the lot number of your shells and let them get back to you. I'm sure they will do right by you. Meantime try another flat on the other end of the lot and see if they have a problem as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe a lousy firing pin???

Don't blame just the shell!!

Curt

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Curt, did you read the part about "tried in several different guns" same results? Guess the other guns had bad pins also. Jake

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Curt, I'm not blaming the shell. I like them. As Jake pointed out,they were tried in other guns; A K-80, DB-81,Seitz, and an MX-2000.Not only that, the other 150 reloads I shot, all went off. It was rather obvious that the primers were seated too deep.

Jeff, thanks. That crossed my mind on the way home after I had already trashed the boxes and shells. If I have more of these, I will do just as you suggested.

Thanks,

Good shooting

Steve

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My apologies...I misread the post.

Curt

7. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

AAtrap

I shoot Estate light eights exclusively with great results, but yes they do have a problem with primers set too deep. I find one or two per flat for the last year. I had my firing pin lengthened by Pat Laib in Spicer MN. on my XT and most go off now, but some are still too deep. My family has 5 shooters and we all experience the same thing. Guns are 1100's, Browing 525, Browning XT combo's. The primers are the problem, but I love the shell so much I will not switch. Has not lost me a target yet, when it does then I will probably re-think my decision.

Primedust

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks Primedust, that's the information I was looking for. I have shot close to 100 flats in the last several years and cannot remember ever having this problem before. I also purchased 9 more flats from Cabela's yesterday.

Thanks again,

Steve

9. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I really liked Estate shells prior to Federal buying them out. Now this sounds funny, but Federal pistol and rifle ammo is my favorite. As far as shotshells go, I just hate the junk post style wad (if you want to even call it that) that Federal uses.

10. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Federal has had a problem for quite some time with the design of their primers being normally set a little deeper than their competitors....once in awhile they will have some set a little to deep and .... from my experiance .... some guns will not hit the primer deep enough which in turn cause misfires ....mainly for Federal off brands and not Gold Medals.... Even in a Federal shell that has fired without a problem I have noticed,.... compared to AA's and others while looking at fired shells, the Federals are usually barely dented while the AA or any other non Federal there is no doubt the shell is going off.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I get about one shell per flat of Estate ammo with the primer set too deep. My 682 makes a very light indentation in the primer but not quite enough to set them off. Generally I can get these shells to fire with a second attempt. A friend of mine is shooting out of the same batch of shells using a Browning XT and he has yet to get a misfire.

I think some shotguns have a bit more firing pin travel than others so the occurance of light primers strikes might be somewhat gun specific. For reference, my 682 has never failed to ignite a primer on my reloads which tend to have flush seated primers. A couple of bloopers yes but those were lack of powder problems.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Wolfram, I was getting the very light indention on the primer also. I was shooting these out of my MX 14-L. One shell did fire out of a friend's MX-2000. I should have tried them in my TMX. Will do that next time.

Steve

13. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I have had the problem you're talking about with Federal Gold Medals. The primers were seated way too deep. On the case I had, at least two shells per box would not fire. I contacted Federal by phone, written letter, and email. I never recieved a reply. consequently, I do not buy any federal ammunition anymore.

Bobk

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Something to keep in mind Steve,

If you are shooting registered targets and the shell doesn't fire on the second hit you will then be maxed out on your failures to fire for that sub event. Anything after that is a loss. If I get the dreaded light hit on registered birds, I just put that shell away and try it again in practice. Kind of a PIA but the price is right on the Estates and they do break targets just fine. I guess I can live with the 1 in 250 problem for now. If it gets to where I am loosing targets due to failure to fire then I will probably just go back to my handloads.

BTW I don't think this has anything to do with the strength of a gun's firing pin springs as the springs in my gun are all new as of this target year. Most primers are getting whacked good and hard.

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Yes, was kinda sweating that second FtoF, but was lucky enough that it didn't happen more than twice on each sub event. Think I'll keep some of my reloads handy from now on when shooting the Estates.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.