1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

????? about eccentric choke tubes?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KENENT1, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Any one have any experiance with eccentric choke tubes?

I have a barrel that shoots 1.5" left off a bench at 13 yds.....it's not the shooter, I have eliminated that question.

Question is how do they pattern??? Will they be ok for singles and handycap??

Who does this work? I have read that Bryley is good.

tony

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

what does Briely charge for these chokes?

tony

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Tony,

A pattern that's only 1.5" off center at 13 yards sure isn't off by very much. That's certainly within the margin of shell-to-shell variation.

I think I would pattern the gun by shooting about 20 patterns at the range you intend to do most of your target breaking. I would carefully try to locate the center of each individual pattern, then take the average of them.

I think that you will find that at say 35 to 40 yards, the center of the pattern can easily vary by 4" or so from shot to shot, even when shooting from a benchrest.

Easystreet

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Easystreet, I hear what you are saying, but shooting this gun at handycap targets is quite different than any other gun I have had in the past, the preception of the leads going right compared to the left angels being different is something that I just can't live with. I don't think I'll be happy till it shoots strait. If all it's going to take is a couple of choke tubes, so be it.

Don't get me wrong, if this was the only gun that I shot, I could adjust my shooting, but going to different barrels for doubles, and a diffenent gun for sporting clays, I want them all to be dead nuts.

What I paid for this Beretta barrel, I would have thought it would have been dead on.

tony

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

http://www.briley.com/

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I've used them in four different guns and have to say that they are alot easier than bending O/U's to get desired POI. In each case one barrel shot a different POI than the other.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Easystreet- I disagree. A gun shooting 1.5 inches to the left = 4.5 inches to the left at 40 yards. This is well over 10% of the effective pattern.

When looking at patterns shot at 40 yards, it is difficult to determine the center of the pattern (POI) within 2-4 inches. This does not mean that the POI varies 2-4 inches, it simply means that it cannot be measured more accurately than 2 to 4 inches. This is why the POI should be determined at 13 yards and the 40 yard paper shots should be used to analyze the pattern, not the POI.

Pat Ireland

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Tony, I had one that shot to the left by about an inch at 12 yards. Called Briley and they said they'd replace it. This was after I bought a XF extended that is rated multi metal. I figure if it'll hold up for all kinds of shot, maybe it'll keep it's oringinal circular shape. Extended chokes shoot tighter and that is what I want.

The reason I checked it on cardboard is I just wasn't getting the smoke I wanted to see. So I fixed that and now I'm working in the other dimension - new gun.

Also had a choke that had a 'leak'. The pattern had a tear drop shape to it with some pellets leaking down and slightly to the left. I noticed some blow by on the one side when the choke is removed. I think I'll send it back as well.

I believe their XF multi metal is actually Full for lead in terms of constriction. Will have to give them a call because it's still not as tight as a Kolar .30. That thing punches big holes in the cardboard and really smokes targets at yardage. My XF doesn't punch a hole, but the pattern is tight. Maybe I can get an XXF multi metal if I tell them I'm only shooting trap...

Joe

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Joe, this is not the tube that is the problem, I have patterned the factory tube that came with the barrel and an extended tube, they both shoot 1.5" to the left at 13yd. 19 out of 20 shots.

I think it is a flaw from the factory on the barrel.

tony

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Tony, I have a very-early Perazzi MX-8 which had the same problem. On a trip back from Charlie Long's Metro Gun Club in Houston I left it off at Briley asking for "eccentric" chokes to correct it. They sent it back with tubes which did exactly what I had asked for.

Parenthetically, I also asked for corrected equipment that would let me explore the possible benefits of a higher shooting gun for the first shot in doubles as is so often recommended here. I found that my personal style does not get any benefit from such a gun, that I need instead an O/U which shoots in about the same place to maintain the AA in doubles which I enjoy.

With the problem you have, assuming that your finding is one that has been discovered using a benchrest over several test sessions, can be corrected by Briley and I recommend you have it done.

Neil

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Neil, you are correct, this poi was discovered after several test on a benchrest, my question was for info regarding the performance of eccentric choke tubes...I believe this is the only fix that I can try short of bending the barrel, which is not what I would be willing to do at this.

My main concern is trying to fix an alignment problem in the last 3 inches of the barrel, unless as some one earlier mentioned about the choke bore being skewed, then this could be the easy fix.

tony

12. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Tony,

I have the same problem with my XT, and you are correct about the money we spend on these guns they should at least shoot straight. From a bench rest, mine patterns 4 to 6 inches to the left at 37yards, the rib is not centered on the top barrel and the mid-bead is also offset. I have since confirmed this at 13yds. My next step is to talk to Browning about it. As for the pattern specifically and in talking with some barrel experts, choke tube convergence is another factor effecting patterns. I don't know how eccentric choke tubes will effect pattern density and shape.

Consequently, I have had a difficult time getting my first 25 straight. I managed to get some consistency by mis-aligning the mid/front bead relationship but I hate doing that.

I never thought I would have to take a square and a pair of calipers to go gun shopping to make sure the rib and mid bead are on straight and centered, especially on Browning products.

Mike

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Pat,

If you can't determine the center of a pattern to within 2" to 4" tolerance, then how do you know the center of the pattern hasn't changed from the previous shot?

I've shot LOTS of patterns at 40 yards whose center has varied by 2" to 4" from the previous pattern which was, as nearly as I could make it, identical to the one I just shot.

14. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I think Pat is trying to tell you it is faster, easier and more accurate to shoot at 13yd targets for POI testing.

I have done it both ways and find it is harder to tell POI when shooting patterns at 37yds than at 13yds. At 13, you get instant feedback by the hole left where the center of the shot column struck the paper.

I have also found that my 37yd patterns and 13yd POI testing closely match each other for POI.

Another idea I haven't tried yet, shooting 5 to 6 shots at the same piece of paper at 37yds. I'm told this will also give you an indication of where the gun is shooting.

In all of this testing, you are using a benchrest to take as much of the human element out of it, aren't you?

Mike

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

First Call Beretta they may recut the choke seat. This can move the pattern by about 4" at 30 yrds. Second Briley makes them and they work.
    Third if you have a center bead thats off by a bit that will cause the difference and a croked rib can as well.
    Good luck
    Joe

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Thanks for the input!!

I've already boxed up the barrel and sent it to Briley, now I'm patiently waiting with visions of 25's dancing in my head!! lol

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.