1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about clay targets - Bulk Purchase

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Frazier, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

My club was just told that our regular supplier will no longer be selling clays. How do most small clubs buy theirs? Does anyone have experience with a group of small clubs joining together to make a large ( bulk ) purchase? How has this worked out? With clubs doing their best to keep prices down, I would think that this would be the way to go. How about some sort of Coop? I would think if a bunch of small clubs banded together they could make a single, large purchase of clays, shells, etc. and pass the savings on to members. Of course, then there is the issue of cash up front, logistics, storage. Any ideas from all of you older, wiser shooters?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is difficult to make a single large purchase. A truck load is 22 pallets and this is considered by distributors as a typical purchase. Shipping costs are a major factor in the cost of targets and it costs about the same to ship 10 pallets as it does to ship 22 pallets.

Pat Ireland

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Last year we were getting in a load of targets and also shooting supplies on the same truck. Shipping was either $1,300 or $1,600 (can't remember) no matter if the truck was half empty or full.

Obviously a full truck is the way to go.

I have heard of a few smaller clubs getting in on one shipment, but that was a few years back. If I remember correctly, the shipment was too one club with the other clubs helping with the unloading and then driving away with there portion of the load. I would think this just requires the cooperation of sister clubs in the region who would be interested, such as those that don't normally purchase a full truck load of birds.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ron.... What you are asking is done quite often with smaller clubs here in the Pacific Northwest. Usually, several clubs will get together and order a full truckload of targets. They will have the targets delivered to one central club, and the other clubs will make their own arrangements to pick up the targets they ordered. Often times this is the most economical and easiest way to get your targets. Storage can be a problem, however, here on the west coast, a 22' storage container can be purchased for about $2000 and will hold as many targets as you need, as well as lots of other equipment........Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Dan is right about the north west. The reason for one central drop is there is an additional charge for each drop location and it is a lot even if the clubs are only a few miles apart.

6. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

RON-
    Where are you located, I may be able to help.
    remove the x's.

7. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

Check with a local trucker for a back haul load-we just(yesterday)received a simi load of white flyer from Knox Indiana only charged $700.00 to our door -Manistique Mi. food for thought.

8. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Thanks everyone. Our club is in Keene, NH.

9. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Right now, in Montana.....the local Wal-Marts have 135 ct white flyers about a buck a box cheaper than we can buy them, by the semi full.

Unsure whats going on in New England but out here there is NO great deal. Bend over and take it.

FN in MT

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Ron,

My club is in south central Mass., and Beikirch Ammunition Corp. in East Rochester, NY ships to a lot of clubs here at least once a month. We buy clays 2 or 3 times a year in bulk. If your order is over $1,000 the shipping is included in the sales price. The last clays we bought were $8.45 per case plus 1% fuel surcharge.

Call Kasey at 800-622-3006. Good luck.

Porcupine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay targets truckload