1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? about cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzitmxshooter, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzitmxshooter

perazzitmxshooter Member

Is there any truth about using cheddite primers in federal paper hulls, making primer pocket larger so you can't use anyother primer. (like winchester)?

Thanks Doug

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The load data I've seen is they appear to be closer to a Federal 209a. Like yourself I'm primarily reloading the Winchester 209's. I have reloaded a few thousand with the Cheddites and am very satisfied with them. No piercing, mis- fires or anything unusual. But, I don't see breaking away from the Winchesters for good anytime soon.

3. oz

oz Active Member

cheddites are fine.. I had trouble with fiocchi's. they will make the primer pocket bigger and you can then put regular primers in with your finger. oz

4. razor

razor TS Member

ditto what OZ said.

5. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

cheddite is junk mis fire 1 out of 25 every time

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Doug, Those primers should not enlarge the primer pocket in your shells, unless they are some really old ones. I would suggest you only try 100-200 primers before you buy alot of them. For some reason they seem to have a thin cover over them. Some guns shoot them fine, while others of the same make or model will have problems with piercing the cover and the flash back can burn the end of the firing pin with will need to be replaced if it happens often enough. So you need to find out it they work for your gun or not before you buy alot of them. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

IMAGE-RANCH, I'd say you have other mechanical problems rather than the Cheddite primers not going off? I've shot several thousand of those in different guns and haven't had a failure to fire yet that was the primers fault! I have had short firing pins and broken springs to hit a primer too light but that isn't the primers fault. Are you shooting a B semi-auto?

Hap

8. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

During the last two months I have loaded and shot 5,000 rounds using AAHS hulls and Cheditte primers with NO failures. For what it is worth...

Doc

9. willing

willing Member

Just had a problem with one. Tried to fire it in 4 different guns. The only gun which would dent the primer was a 1100. A rem ,browning and a Franci only left a very slight mark. The primer face was flush. Shell reloaded on a Mec. Haven't had a chance to cut it open, but it shure looks to be a very hard primer. Have loaded 10K without a problem before.

Bill

10. bicswalleye

bicswalleye TS Member

Gone through 30,000 cheddite primers and not one mis-fire. Also during this time would mix in winchesters, remingtons, CCI's, and even herters that my dad would buy at auctions and give to me to use up. Never had a problem with enlarged primer pockets.

Matt

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

35,000 so far not one cheddite failure.........fact!

D.P.Reynolds

12. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

11,000 plus cheddite last year and not one "dud" ?????

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

IMAGE RANCH, How many times had your hulls been loaded? Sometimes the loader will set the primer deeper in used hulls.

No issues with Cheddite primers in any of my guns.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The only primers as of late in which I had any failures were Winchesters, I load Winchesters, CCI & Cheddite.

Phil Berkowitz

15. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I've used way more than 35000 cheddites without a problem of any kind in any gun or hull and I switch both a bunch...LOL.........merlyn....

16. daveship

daveship Member

20000 cheddites and not one failure just my 2 cents

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

When I could get them, I bought Cheddite primers by the 5,000 sleeve and never had a single problem. I can no longer get them from my dealer so I went back to Winchester.

18. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I just looked at my records, and I have gone through 84k Cheddites and think they are great. I found that on a real light load they tend to burn through occasionally, so I use something else on those. No problem with fit on other brands (Rem, Win) after using Cheddites. RM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.