1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? About ATA Registered Targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike G, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

Just started shooting registered targets and have noticed that at the bigger shoots if you do not have a minimum number of targets you have to shoot penalty for handicap. My question - can I shoot targets only and not have to shoot penalty? Otherwise how do you get enough targets at your assigned yardage? Mike

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Sorry Mike, but thats the way it is unless something has changed. That rule is usually implimented to prevent a ringer from winning a big dollar event. Shoot small shoots or a marathon and get your targets in. I believe you need 1,500 targets. Check the rule book. Maybe someone else will jump in and answer.

3. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

claydstr, Even if you do not play any money you are eligible for trophies therefore the need for the plenlty yardage rule at large shoots.i.e. state shoots, sat. grands, ect...prevents alot of problems...it won't take long to get your targets in and most places look at your last two years combined.... Kym

4. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Rather or not you play any options does not effect you having to shoot penalty yardage as you will have to at shoots that state in their program a minimum is required. Without any targets, how would a classification person classify you with nothing to go by?

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The required targets to avoid a penalty, the type of penalties used and the availability a targets only option are set by individual clubs. Some clubs wave these penalties for some category shooters and apply them to other groups of shooters.

One of the more common classifications mistakes involves the classifier not recognizing that a shooter should be penalized. It is the shooters responsibility to make certain they are classified correctly.

Pat Ireland

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Check the shoot program.

Don

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think the answer is above but I will take another shot at it.

Yes, you can shoot "targets only" from your regular assigned yardage without meeting the minimum target requirements ONLY IF the particular shoot has a provision for it. You have to check the shoot program, and follow the requirements specified.

As far as getting targets in at your assigned yardage, try some smaller shoots. Generally, you will not see the penalty requirements as strict at a smaller shoot.

Have fun!

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

It is up to however the club decides to interpalate the rule book as to exactly what happens at a shoot.

There is no set solid answers.

9. motrap

motrap Member

lumper ........... there you go again with your ............."interpolate" the rules ..........

Claydstr: The INDIVIDUAL shoot management(s) must state in the program if there are minimums, what the minimums are, other restrictions and/or waving of restrictions, etc. ........ there is NO interpolating ........ it's whatever they say it is in the program ......... you just have to read the program .......... lacking any statement about penalty yardage, the ATA rule is; there will not be penalty yardage ......... (any shoot applying penalty yardage, without expressly stating there will be penalty yardage, is in violation of the ATA rule!)

(Note: the information about penalty yardage does not necessarily HAVE to be in the program ....... it may be posted prominently on the shoot grounds, as can any/all corrections and/or omissions to a program ...... preferably these postings are located prominently, to where shooters definitely will see them prior to entry.) .............. Rudy

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How about this question. I have not shot ATA for 4 years. I signed up again Saturday. I was AA27AA when I stopped shooting. I do not have a current rules book. I will be lucky to get 500 singles and handicaps in by the Ohio State shoot, let alone the Grand. Since I am at the 27, and can't be penalized any more yardage, am I only allowed to shoot targets? I assume thats the case.

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Setterman:

How would you arrive at that conclusion? Break it down like this: 1) you say you will not meet minimum target requirements for the shoots you are concerned about, 2) your assigned yardage is 27 yards; 3) go to the shoot and you are subject to penalty, but you are already at the maximum yardage so penalty has no effect on you.

You could shoot "targets only" if they had it, but that would not make much sense, would it?

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

your right. thats my point. if I can't compete, why would I shoot? There is no way I'll get 2500 in. It would bee difficult for me to even get 1000 in.

We don't even consider shooting ATA targets till late April due to the weather here, so it's pretty tough getting birds in. And then theres that thing called a "job" that really screws things up. Oh well.

13. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Setterman

I would think that the phase "known ability" will get you. Plus Section VI C 4 "After a lapse in membership any shooter reappling for membership in the ATA, who had been assigned a previous handicap yardage, shall resume shooting at the previous assigned yardage." I would think you would be classed AA 27 AA since you had established a "known ability" and classification in previous years. However I also believe your classification could possibily be up to the club (NEW SHOOTERS) and especially if no penality is posted for the shoot. Be prepared to shoot AA 27 AA

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

A set solid rule sure would make things simple. ;-)))

No questioning, no thinking, no interporating of nuthin just BAM ... it is what it is and thats that.

15. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Grand American Qualification Section XI A

Handicap 2000 targets for the current and previous 2 years of which 1000 must be registered since Sept 1 of the previous year

16 Yards 2000 for the current year and/or previous 2 years in which 1000 must be registered since Sept 1 of the previous year

Doubles 1500 for the current year and/or previous 2 years in which 700 must be registered since Sept 1 the previous year

Sub junior Junior and Sr. vets requirements can be waived

OneATAtime----- Qualifications you listed are for All- American Team

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Setterman:

You are confusing me. You didn't say anything in your original post about wanting to be at a shorter yardage, is that where you are going with this?

You were at the 27 4 years ago, that's where you will be when you start again. You will have no worry about penalty at any shoots since you are already AA27AA, I don't see what issue you are worried about regarding penalty. Penalty will have no effect on you at any shoot in the USA. You can shoot at your assigned yardage and class, enter options etc, and never have to worry about getting minimum targets in.

17. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Setterman

I don't believe you could qualify for the Grand since you would not get the required targets within the last 2 -2 1/2 years. See above Qualifications. For any other shoot I don't see any problems competing.

18. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this is going downhill. Dale, why do you say he could not "qualify" for the Grand? You make it sound like he would not be allowed to compete at the Grand? He is already classed higher than the penalties, so they don't affect him. What doesn't he "qualify" for at the Grand?

Edit: I just checked the 2007 Grand requirements and you only need 1,000 in the current year to avoid penalty. No more prior year amounts are involved. But for singles and doubles, it looks like I was wrong above when I said penalty would not apply since he was already AA. He could get bumped to AAA if minimums are not not met.

19. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Sure... he is Classed and Handicaped as per previous membership Section IV C 4
    AA 27 AA

Sorry... Qualifications -- Less than 25 Class A Required targets as stated above

Yes, you are correct, he can shoot as the penalities will not affect him (Setterman)
    He (setterman) could possibly receive a reduction after a 1000 target review

20. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

YOU ARE CORRECT Just downloaded the 2007 rule book it HAS changed since the printing of Sept 2005 book I have.

Curious, how many shooters and clubs are aware of this change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata registered birds

ata registered targets

ata registered targets colorado