1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? about ATA Classifacation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

First of all I just want to state that I'm not complaining but just trying to understand how it works. I'm new to ATA and joined and shot my firt ATA shoot a little over a month ago. When I signed up I was put in B class and was told I would stay there until I shot 500 registered targets and then I would be re classified. That day I shot a 95 in singles and a 88 (I think) in handicap. My next shoot was last weekend and when I signed up they moved me to A class even though I haven't shot 500 register targets yet. I asked the guy and he said even with just one score of a 95 it shows known ability and he is moving me up. Is this right? Is it just up to the belief of the one guy who is signing you up at each shoot and the next shoot to what a different guys believes you ought to be classified? Thanks Huntinandhotrods!!

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rule V, C, 1:

"... A new shooter may be assigned to any class in 16-yards and Doubles events, at the discretion of classification personnel until the shooter establishes his/her known ability. ... "

With that said, I probably would have left you in B. But, it is up to the classifier as shown in the rule above.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

V10, how right you are!! People doing the classifying can use their judgment in deciding which class this shooter should be placed in with fairness to all.

That said, placing most beginning shooters in "A" class after a single event is a great way of discouraging him from more registered shooting after a 95! That classifier used his authority and the way the rule is written to change the mans class, it wasn't his known ability, it was a lack of, or fear of the unknown.

Hap

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thank the handicapper for having such confidence in your ability and then go out there and prove him right by shooting an even better score! By the way, busting a 95 on your first registered match is an accomplishment and it does indicate that you have some skill.

The rewards in this game of trap come when you exceed the expectations that you and others have aribitrarily put on yourself. It isn't about the cheesy trophy or the few bucks in the pot.

Step up to the plate and give A class your best shot, if it really doesn't pan out there will be plenty of opportunities to drop back a class or two. If it does work out then you can take pride in yourself for standing up to the challenge.

5. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Thanks to all that responded and I will take Wolfram's advise and shoot my best. Hopefully I can surprise myself! Thanks Huntinandhotrods!

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Glad you plan on taking Wolfram's advice.

I would like to know the rest of the story.

Did you win B Class on that first shoot?

What happened with you in A Class? Can I assume you loss? Would you have won B Class?

Next time you are there ask the Classifier for a rule book.

You can also look at the most current one on the ATA site, link above.

Jason

7. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I did not win the B class on the first shoot. I think it was a 97 that took it. My 2nd shoot in the A class, I broke a 94 and I believe a 96 won the B class that day. I wouldn't of won any way, but I sure had fun and everyone was very friendly. I can't wait for the next one. I try and shoot every weekend either in sporting clays, pot/games shoots and now ATA if the my wife lets me. I'll win one of these days when I get lucky. The problem is with my luck I could fall into a barrel full of boobs and come up sucking my thumb! Huntinandhotrods

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A guy that can break mid 90's scores on his first few matches is A class material. You just need to put a couple things together and pick up that extra target on each house. You are really close to being there so don't let anyone tell you otherwise (includes your inner voice).

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I too think you are A class material.

For my own ranking, I never worried about it. I figured that the class is based on your average so, I just let the average govern my class. After two shoots you have a 94.5 average. That puts you in A class anyway. So far, I think you've been classified properly.

Another thing to keep in mind is the scores that normally win. In a small shoot, a 95 has a good chance to win B class. In a larger shoot it will be a 97 or better even in B class.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Shoot targets only...forget options and purses...then you don't need to worry about these "technicalities" and have fun. Regards, Ed

11. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Welcome to the ATA.

12. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Also remember some shoots have 3 classes, some have 4, some 5, and some have 6. You might be in B at one shoot but A at a different shoot due to different classification. Also some clubs change the percentages so you may fall into a different class based on that clubs percentages. Some people may have an issue with that but many times the club is just trying to even out the number of people in each class based on prior shoot attendance.

13. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I started shootng about 3 years ago and had the same problem my first year. Got to A my first year without winning any B, C or D events. Often I saw a 95 win the C class, and a 98 get the B -- and i realized that some folks game the system. Indeed, two shoots ago, I saw a known A class shooter who often gets 96+ argue his way into the B class. Shame on him....and when I tried to raise the issue with the classifer, he told me to mind my business!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.