1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? about 870 Comp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What are the opinions about the 870 comp? Anyone still use one? Are they reliable, and have available parts if needed?

Thanks,

Gne J

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Comps are a sleeper gun. Once guys shoot them it's easy to fall in love with them. I think there are a bunch of Comp Cults around. I know several guys that have more than one. It's a single shot. The gas driven recoil device is located in the mag tube. The bores are around .746 and the constrictions are about .038. These are one of the best patterning barrels that you will find. Comps seem to have a higher than normal incidence of cracks in the receiver, so closely examine the receiver at the rear of the ejection port for anything that looks like a crack. One of my 3 Comps developed a crack there. At first I thought it was just a scratch, but it turned out to be a crack. Remington refused to replace the receiver. Some guys drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from progressing. I've seen one in which a slot was cut where the crack was, such that it looked like the slot in an 1100. It's not a bad idea to buy a back-up Comp as a parts gun. They really shoot well. Bob

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I've had one since they first came out. Over the years, I "progressed" through just about every "high-dollar" gun out there....but have kept the 870 Comp. in the closet. I bring her out now and then..just for fun. If you don't find a certain pleasure in dis-assembling your guns and cleaning them after every use....it's probably NOT the gun for you.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. Any others?

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

strate174RR

Thanks for the clarification. I think this gun was ahead of it's time. Looking at the new Beretta UGB25, I wonder if it will meet the same fate as the 870 Comp. Speaking of Comp, I was looking at a 1100 Comp today, and Remington can put some of the most beatiful wood on a gun I don't even see on guns costing 10 times as much.

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have had lots of expensive trap guns. You may have seen quite a few of them that I have sold on TS.COM. What have I been shooting as these guns came and went??? You guessed it I break a 27 yard target harder with it than any other gun I have ever had. In regard to maintenance I find them to be very simple and easy to take care of. K80 is correct. My gun mics at 748 with 39 points of constriction. Now that's a true "hot rod" for a completely stock gun with no barrel mods at all. It is the only gun I have that is NOT for sale. Rick
    ....Texas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.