1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Abercrombie Fitch/Gamba Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hawk46, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Dealing on one of these. Nice looking single barrel w/32" FC, color cased engraved frame. Rather unspectacular field grade walnut. Stamped A&F manufactured by Gamba. Thinking he's asking too much. Anyone familiar with this gun?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Prolly be a lot more reasonable if it didn't have that A/F stamped on it? :) Hap

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Good luck getting parts if needed.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I had one but my daughter claimed it ... still have the Stoeger version, which was my back up gun.

Points like a dream and vaporizes targets!

Only problem that I ever had with it was a broken firing pin. Gunsmith took it out, measured it with a micrometer and walked over to his lathe and made another one and heat treated it.

Value? I have no idea. BUT ... in the late 70s I paid $500 for it and earned most of that back the following weekend at a Zone Shoot! I was money ahead by the end of the month!

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

This is something we need to see a picture or two.

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What's the price?

7. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

99% gun - $1950. I know Gamba makes some nice guns like the expensive Daytona's but I can't determine which model this is exactly. Rather plain wood but a really nice looking case colored receiver. Griffin & Howe has one described as "very good" for $1350. but case colors look a little weak. I think I may pass because my research seems to suggest that there is only one guy in NY that handles service for the entire U.S. That sounds a bit scary to me since I'm not buying a new gun to just look at.

8. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Hawk 46,
    F. Gamba was imported by both Ambercrombie and Stoeger in the 70's. They are not the same Gamba that are being produced today. I believe the manufacturer is a cousin of the current manufacturer. They are still in business as a machine shop in Italy (no longer produce guns). I believe they still have some new original guns available. The guns are great, but there are no longer any parts available. I own a stoeger import with very nice cc - If I'm on, the gun crushes the targets. Joe S.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If it's the model WITHOUT the drop out trigger, then it is the exact same gun as the Franchi 2000, 2005, 3000.

You will have a helluva time getting parts. I know because I bought out the remaining parts from the importer many, many years ago and these are no long gone.

FIE Corporation in FL was the importer of the Franchi's and all parts interchanged.

I had a couple of Perazzi's and decided to pick up one of these for competition because it looked nice, felt nice, and was priced about the same.

It had a miserable trigger and I couldn't improve it much. It sold for the same amount as a new TM1, to I really "shot myself in the foot" buying it. I think I got $750 out of it on a trade for a Perazzi skeet gun.

HOWEVER, if the gun you are talking about has the dropout trigger, that is a completely different story. That was a FANTASTIC gun. The finish on the trigger assembly left others in the dust, and the whole gun was a superbly built gun. It rivaled the Perazzi in quality and function.

WW

10. winm12

winm12 TS Member

The single barrel trap gun you've described was made by Flli Gamba (Gamba Brothers), which stopped making guns in the late 80s. Gamba called it the Model 496, but importers may have given it other designations. These guns were imported to the USA by Abercrombie & Fitch, Stoeger, Mauser Bauer, Universal, and perhaps others over a 20 year period of approx 1965-85.

I own one and shoot it regularly. It's a very high quality gun. Parts are unavailable Stateside, but Guido Gamba is alive and well in Italy with a healthy supply of NIB guns and spares.

However, I don't believe the Flli Gamba SBT has any relation whatsoever to the Franchi guns mentioned in an earlier post. The Flli Gamba is a dedicated frame single barrel trap gun.

Asking prices for a Gamba SBT are all over the place. Mine has a custom stock and is insured for about $2000. I've seen plain, factory guns selling for as low as $600. All depends on what you think it's worth.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The Gamba Trap I am referring to above does NOT have drop out triggers, and is either the 720AT OR 720 AAT - can't remember which one have the drop out triggers.

I owned and shot one for about a year, and it absolutely had the same innards as the Franchi 2000 & 3000 series guns. I have worked on many of these throught my gunsmithing lifetime, and replaced many internal trigger parts with the Franchi parts.

Without knowing the exact model the poster has, it is not possible to describe what he has.

Whiz

12. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole. I bought one and traded it back. Poor workmanship. And I even had about 40 extra parts for it. Couldn't even sell it for $600. Stay away, you are better off with a vintage BT-99. 100X better gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

abercrombie & fitch singlebarrel

abercrombie gamba

franchi 2005 shotgun gamba

gamba aberchrombie and fitch single barrel trap

gamba sbt 496