1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Abercrombie & Fitch / Gamba trap gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It can't be a recent import.

The old Abercrombie & Fitch stopped importing shotguns when they closed in late '70s. The new Abercrombie & Fitch opened couple years later never imported any firearms.

$500 sounds cheap for a Gamba, even with one barrel.

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

http://www.guncollectorsclub.com/shotguns_abercrombie_fitch.htm

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I am not sure BT-99's were around when Gamba made these. They loo9k more like 4E clones.

HM

4. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

it most likely has boehler barrels,if so it is prolly 30 years old.
    check the date code on bbl watertable,2 letters or roman numerals.
    i shot many 25 with mine.if tight clean and like new,500. is great imho.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If you break a part, will you be able to find a replacement part?? I remember a few years ago trying to find Renato Gamba parts.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The voice of wisdom... A deal is only a deal.. if you can fix it...

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm with HM on this one.. looks like a 4E to me... In any event.. it's a boxlock.. As lomg as you're willing to make a part.. or pay for someone to make a part.. I see no problem with the gun.. Problem is.. things get expensive when you make 1..only..

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Gamba made these guns for Abercromie & Fitch, Stoeger, Mauser, and anyone else that wanted them, The only differences were cosmetic.

I had 2 of them, the A&F (that my daughter decide was hers) and a Stoeger.

Excellent gun...old world quality, points like a dream and just powders birds.

At $500 you are stealing it! A friend just paid $850 for one.

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Except for the rib this gun looks to be a clone of my SBT Mauser/Bauer import circa 1972. My gun has a higher tapered rib. It also was mfg in Italy by Gamba. This gun is probably more overbuilt than any I have ever examined. Properly cared for (clean & lube) it appears as though it was meant to last a lifetime. My only concern would be to find replacement firing pins or the leaf type hammer spring. I have pretty much stopped shooting mine for the mentioned concerns.

I would not sell mine for anywhere near $500. Even if I never shoot it again, I enjoy looking at it. When new, these were more expensive than a Perazzi TM-1. Had they been properly marketed they would have been good competition for the "P" & "K" guns.

A few pics. Marc

Does anyone know if Gamba is still in business and wether parts are available from them? If not, is there another source in the USA, Europe, or elsewhere?

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/?action=view¤t=MAUSERSBT016.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/?action=view¤t=MAUSERSBT020.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/?action=view¤t=MAUSERSBT002.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Before the parts are damaged.. make a print of them.. so it would be easy to correct.. I'm sure Wolfe could make the spring.. and anyone who knows how to turn and temper a firing pin could make a few spares..

11. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

These were made by F. Gamba (Fratelli Gamba?) in the seventies. F. Gamba no longer makes guns, altough I do believe thay are related to Renato Gamba who still make guns. They did produce guns for all of the companies that AHAB has indicated above, as well as themselves. I purchased one of these guns in 95% condition a few months ago. The gun is extremely well made, points beautifuly, and powders targets.
    $500 is an excellent price! Joe S.

12. Lou22

Lou22 TS Member

Hi, all;

I have a Gamba 496 Trap - identical to the one in the pics- with a broken v-spring. I have emailed Gamba Italy, USA, etc. with no responses. I have looked high, low and in between for a v-spring for this beautiful gun. I agree with making prints for the firing pins or v-springs - seems to be about the only thig that could go on this gun. I just took the receiver apart today (finally!) and am determined to replace the spring, even if a slight modification to a more readily available spring has to be done. I spoke with Dennis Delcamp in New York a while back - he's a wealth of info for these guns. I am going to send him some pics of the open receiver to see what he may be able to come up with. Seeing as these guns were made under many names (listed above), someone has to have parts for them....I hope!

Lou.

13. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I shot one of those for a few years and the only thing that broke was the ejector shaft. The two guide pins on the ejector came loose to. Jess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
abercrombie and fitch trap guns
abercrombie gamba shotguns
gamba stoeger trap guns

gamba trap gun

gamba trap guns

gamba v-spring
mauser 496 parts
mauser 496 trap