1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AAs vs Gun Clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

OK, these may be rookie questions, however over the past 3 years I've only reloaded Gun Clubs (because they were free). I've come across some AAs.

1) Is my load for Gun Clubs compatible with the AAs?
    ---#8, 18.1 Clays, Claybuster WAA12, W209

2) What's the advantage AAs have over Gun Clubs?

3) How may reloads can I expect with the AAs?

Thanks, Craig

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

First off the AA are a much better hull than the GC. You will get some people on her who will tell you about the base wad migration and getting stuck in your barrel. The argument still continues. I have loaded AA's for many, many years without a problem. I have seen a GC separate from the base and lodge in the barrel. I will NEVER reload GC again. Plus the steel base is a bitch to re-size.

The GC recipe is close, but you need to look up the reloading data in the manual to be sure. Never take anyone's advice on a load that cannot be backed up with published data.

The AA's, depending on how hot of a load, will last you any where from 5 to 8 reloads.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

For factory loads I believe AA's have harder shot and I can use them for Handicap while Gun Clubs are adequate for Singles and Doubles. I never have problems reloading AA's but I use wads designed for them. The GC's reload OK but like the previous poster said, they take more effort to resize and I believe the steel base causes more stress on the gun.

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Thanks for the info. I forgot I could just look up the load data on the Hodgdon site. Looks like my Gun Club loads are compatible.

Lead Shot-
    12ga-
    1 1/8 oz. shot-
    Clays powder-
    w209 primers-
    WAA12 wads-
    18.2gr-
    9,800 pressure-
    1200 fps velocity-

5. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I noticed the pressure for the Gun Clubs are 11,300 psi vs. the AAs at 9,800.

Is this due to the hull or due to the Gun Clubs load is 18.4 gr. and the AAs require 18.2 gr.?

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The AA load you mentioned is 9800 LUP .... NOT psi.

Rule of thumb, AA pressures are generally higher than a Rem hull if everything else remains the same. Not always but usually.

Clays is a great powder but with 1 1/8 oz., its pushing my limits when closing in on 1200 fps. I would chose another powder for a 1200 fps or greater. International Clays or Green Dot would by my choice.

2 cents,
    Mark

7. woodski

woodski Member

In my oppinion I would stick with the Gun Clubs as I have seen in person what the base wad from the new AA hulls do when THEY DO come loose and stick in the barrel. It split 2 inches of his barrel and his O/U went from a 32in to a 29 in barrel now and wasn't cheap to get redone. We were lucky no one got hurt but it sure scared the CRAP OUT of US!!! My best friend loaded them in a Ponsnes Warren 800B which has a pretty good reputation and we have been shooting and reloading for over 30 years. We load remington hulls Exclusivly Now and have had Excellent Results ( I have never heard of a Remington base coming loose?). IT's your gun & health but I won't ever reload new AA's again!

Bob W.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm with woodski on this one as I also personally have seen the HS-AAs separate happened to my good friend when we were shooting (just practice) luckily no bbl. damage that we could determine, but we did have to get a long piece of 1\2 inch dowel rod to drive it back out through the chamber end.

The Gun Clubs are a 1 pc. compression formed hull as were the OLD style AAs, I have also seen the brass pull off every hull on the market, but when you open your gun & get nothing but the brass--steel-- in your hand you know immediately something is WRONG, with a base wad separation you don't see that. So nothing but 1 pc. hulls for me. Yes all of the promo hulls have steel (plated) heads and do require a good re-sizer but a Mec #77 SS @ about $75.00 is a very good investment and ins. against getting hurt and-or- blowing up an expensive gun due to hull separation. Just my opinion. Ross Puls

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Who says STS's dont? I've got the brass base somewhere!!
    oleolliedawg_2008_0303705.jpg

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"I have never heard of a Remington base coming loose"

Don't be so sure those Gun Clubs are the safe ones.

I lost faith in the Gun Clubs after this happened to my son. The hull tube was stuck in the barrel and required a cleaning rod to get it to push out. The steel base came out when the gun opened. This is every bit as dangerous as the supposed AA base wad seperation.

grntitan_2009_2503189.jpg

11. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well, I'll have to say after 3 complete years in youth trap I've reloaded approximately 9000 Gun Club hulls and I haven't had a problem with any of the hulls. That's not to say I haven't been lucky.

I perform a quick inspection on every hull and throw out any that don't look completely serviceable.

I completely inspect every single reloaded shell prior to boxing them up for my Boys to shoot. I reject about 10% for one reason or another and put the rejects in a bin that I use to shoot when we go out for a "fun" shoot.

I do this for two reasons; 1) so if there's a problem, it's me that will deal with it. 2) I need something to blame my poor shooting on :)

I reloaded about 25 AAs tonight and apparently the final crimp is shallower than what's needed for the Gun Clubs because half of the AAs came out crushed.

I guess I've got some adjusting to do with my MEC 9000.

Craig

12. TrapperP2005

TrapperP2005 Member

I prefer GC's to the AA hulls. I spent quit a bit of money on the AA's and was disappointed with how they Didnt retain the shot. I've used both, grey and red ones. You may not get as many reloads Woth GC's but, they crimp so much better and look more "factory" once reloaded. Although, the old style AA's are better than the new style. So Ive heard.

Jordan

13. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Blueraven, same thing for me. I just reloaded my last remington hull and decided to start on my 1000 or so gray AA's. The remington reloads look like a factory round. I started with the AA's and I didnt like how big the hole was in the middle. I lowered the crimp just a tad and the hole didnt go away. I lowered it some more with the same results. I then lowered it another hair and the hole went away, but the edges of the crimp started to fold and were very uneven. I then raised the crimp back up, and have it to where there is a very tiny hole in the crimp, which I just have to accept. The problem is that every once in a while the hole is too big for my liking. With remingtons I just pull the handle and go. I never once worried about a bad crimp with a remington hull. After I am done with the AA's I am going to bite the bullet and buy 5 or ten thousand once fired STS/Nitro's. I hate to spend the money but that would take care of my reloading for at least a few years.

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I only bought 300 AAs @ $.05 so my investment isn't too great. I might look for some STS/Nitro's and see what I can do with them.

For now I'm staying with the GCs. I don't want to effect my Boys scores due to questionable loads.

If the STS/Nitro's will load like the GCs without any adjustments to my MEC, I might just stay with them.

Thanks all for the advice.

Craig

15. missemucho

missemucho Member

All the Remington hulls reload exactly the same; if you're interested in long hull life, try the black Remington game loads. I reloaded them 10 times before I got embarrassed and threw them away!
    John

16. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Blueraven - if you can get your hands on the sts/nitro's then it would be a good move. They use the same data as the GC's, except much smoother to reload. I like the end product of the gun clubs but the handle seems harder to pull and it seems harder on the reloader.

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

I reload both,18.5 green dot,tgt wad,cheddite primer.Occasionally I'll use a claybuster wad in the aa's,winchester equavilent.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun clubs vs reloads