1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AAHS & Top Gun/Estate basewads in barrel?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Okay, I read of those that think these wads stick in the barrel because logic and reason tell them they could. And I've read accounts, and seen pictures, suggesting posters here have evidence these basewads migrate in the hull. And I've read of those claiming their barrels were bulged or burst by these wads. I've also read of those claiming to have found them laying on the ground.

BUT....has anyone here, especially you break-open gun users, actually found one stuck in their barrel?

2. Frye

Frye TS Member

Personally, I haven't. Stood next to guy that did have an Estate come apart. Nothing lodged in the barrel. It sounded off and came out in several pieces.

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I had a Federal Gold Metal(smoothie) hull separate. 1/2 the hull got wedged halfway down the barrel. Who knows what would have happened on the next shot?It was reload, and that hull had been reloaded 4 times. I have not witnessed any problems with AA. I don't reload Estates.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you have any doubts about the new AAs, take one apart and see if you can separate the base wad from the hull. You are allowed to us any tools in your workshop to perform the task. HMB

5. Frye

Frye TS Member

I forgot, I've seen one AA grey hull come apart at the base of the brass, it was a reload and had been reloaded many times. To the point where there splits in the hull below the crimp area.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

MS410, I've never seen one but then I've only reloaded and shot twenty thousand or so of them.

Neil

7. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear MRSkeet410,
    I have reloaded ammo since 1952. I am a firm believer in case inspection before reloading. The early dark grey AA HDCP cases (new style, 1st design) would exhibit an occassional base wad movement after 5 reloads. In 2007, I had three base wads end up in the choke constriction of my TM1. This happened shooting practice with old 6 time reloaded early dark grey AA,s. The noise report was slightly different each time so I looked down the barrel! Scared the hell out of my shooting partners. Had two more that sent half the case down the barrel(one oz. 8 1/2's, 17.2 grains, 700X with AA OEM wad). Had a few more send the entire case out the barrel. Stopped using the old style. I have tryed the new AAHS cases and switched to only reloading twice, then over the shoulder. Now I shoot a lot of new style red AA's and have had no case failures or base wad movement (very few case splits also). I have switched to green & gold STS cases for the bulk of my shooting. I reload up to about 20K 12 gauge a year now. Used to exceed 35K a year, but current income & cost of shooting has reduced the numbers.
    Remington STS ammo & cases have been my favorite since I tried them in the early 1990's. Mr Winston hasn't seen any (base wad problems) because he puts in a lot of his time running & managing a shoot. I have seen this problem, examined it and decided to stop using those dark grey 1st design hulls.
    It's one problem I do not want to experience again.
    Sincerely
    Jet Boat Bill
    Life Member 37-13955

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I have experienced this also, on 4 occasions. In one case, the hull partially separated and the cause was clearly evident - the base had come loose, and powder was under it. One time the hull jammed in my choke tube, the other times it left the gun completely.

I also only reload the RED AA's, and toss them after 5-6 reloads. I don't trust them as much as the old AA's.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BL350 , I'm glad to hear someone else single out the early gray new style AA's. There was something wrong with the gray plastic. Those hulls did not crimp well and hold up long. Pat Ireland and I discussed this at least once. Everyone else seemed to think we were nuts. The newest grays seem to be as good as the red boys. I've never seen a loose basewad and I prefer the AA.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I personally Had the greatest of luck in having the basewad from a federal shell out of a four pack from walmart wedge in my 1100 skeet barrel. The reason I say good luck is that had been shooting and returned home. The next day I was going to a sporting shoot and changed barrels, LUCKY for ME! The following week I went to clean the gun and change back the barrel and went to clean the Skeet barrel and the brush would not go through. What the Hzll, I thought an looked through and there was this 1/4 inch hole. I could not push it out with the rod so I got a piece of dowel and a hammer to drive the snot out of it. A basewad from the LAST shell I had shot fell out. That was luck. I have never reloaded any federal shell except papers.This was new ammo. This is my own personal story and swear to it. Jeff

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Stopped reloading AA for this very reason. It only took one look down my barrel after an "off sounding" shot to convince me.

13. GRR

GRR TS Member

This topic has come up several times before and the results are the same. AAHS that are at least 3 years old come apart and pieces stick in the barrel. All that I've used are at least 3 years old. I agree totally with BL350. I have about 6000 once fired AAHS left and I load them twice, first with 16.2 700X win. primer and AA wad 1 1/8 shot, second with 15 700X win. primer and downrange 1oz wad for first shot in doubles, then they get tossed. You can't beat the Rem. STS and NITRO 27's for reloading, and their SAFE.

Gary

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Almost anything can happen if you shoot enough. As for me, I have had no trouble except for STS 28 ga. hulls that I shoot skeet with.

In addition to them being hard to get a good crimp with, they are prone to comming apart....ie all you get is the brass when you open the gun. I have had this happen 3 or 4 times so far and once, the plastic part of the hull was lodged in the barrel about 10" from the breech.

Needless to say, I don't shoot a semi auto shotgun when I use these hulls.

In fairness, I have also seen the same thing happen with the 410 AAHS hulls.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Never had a problem with Estates, but I only reload them once. Never had a problem with HS hulls, only reload them 4 or 5 times. I always shoot reloads in my break open guns, never in my auto. Wayne

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel AAHS hulls that came out as "improved" hulls in the beginning were trash. I also think Winchester fixed the problem without saying there was a problem to start with. Hap

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

bigbore613 - How far down the barrel did you find that basewad? Was it far enough that a shell could be loaded behind it?

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

GRR - "AAHS that are at least 3 years old come apart and pieces stick in the barrel."

Have you personally experienced an AAHS basewad stuck in your barrel>

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Yes , that was the real luck. It was wedged at the start of the choke , just out of reach of my little finger. Next shell would have been a Doozy!! Happy Holiday's, Jeff

20. GRR

GRR TS Member

mrskeet410 Yes I have, when I noticed a bulge in my barrel and couldn't figure out what did it. I started checking the barrel every time I fired and found three wads stuck. I only had about 600 rounds loaded with at least 5 loadings left, so I tossed the remainder. I also had the tubes separate from the brass and stick in the barrel. MY only regret is I did not take any pictures.

GRR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester aa base wad coming lose