1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AAHS 28GA HULLS PLEASE EXPLAIN "THE LINE"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I have a load of 28ga AA shells. I was looking to buy some more. I see adds that say "with the line" and "without the line" I looked at my hulls and the is a line printed on the side of the case. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two versions? Which is better and why? Which is the currant style?

thanks in advance for your wisdom

Joe

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

AAHS 28GA HULLS PLEASE EXPLAIN

The first run of AA228 HS hulls were shorter than the Compression formed hulls they replaced. You had to completely readjust your loader and once you did the loader would crush the old style.

The "line" under the AA indicates the later version of the HS hull which Winchester lengthened.

The without "line" version is fine if they are the only hulls you load and you are willing to readjust your loader.

IF you want to be able to load STS and AA 28's without serious adjustment, you better stick to the "line" version.

Michael

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Is there a god recipe for loading this hull? I have a nIB 28 ga reloader and 500 AAHS hulls.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Michael, do you know the difference in the 20 ga AA's too. I just set up a 20 ga 366 auto and was crushing hulls so just stopped. Some hulls had the writing underlined also. Jackie B.

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Alliant 20/28, CB 5034-HS wad, works well.

Universal Clays and the CB wad are a good combination as well. though if you have the shorter hulls its hard to impossible to get it all int eh case with a full 3/4oz shot load.

I've had better luck with the CB wad than the Win 28 HS wad. The CB has a little stiffer plastic and I don't have as much problem with folded wad petals.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=0.75&weightdis=3%2f4&shellid=530&gtypeid=3&gauge=28

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Jackie B.

The earliest AA HS hulls had a "AA" in a box, just like the last of the Compression Formed (CF) hulls. At some point Winchester started using just a plain AA, no box. Some have a plain AA with a line underneath. As far as I know all the 20 ga HS hulls are the same length. The HS 20 is more susceptible to crushing that the 20 gauge Win AA CF hulls. When I started loading the HS hulls I had to move down the crimp starter (MEC 9000)to close the the hull more, and ease off the first crimp. After a bit of tinkering I found a set up that would crimp an CF hull sufficiently and not crush an HS. I have no experience with a 366, but I would assume it can be suitably adjusted also.

I am collecting, but I have not loaded any of the 28 AA HS hulls. I am still working on the last 3-4000 compression formed hulls I have left.

Michael

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The problem w/ the AAHS 20 is that you can't use the AAHS factory wad. Just not enough for about any powder to allow everything to fit properly w/ a full 7/8oz of shot. You have to use the Claybuster, Downrange, Duster, or Remington wad. You might be able to get away with the factory wad now w/ the 20/28 powder, but I think even that might be a tight fit.

8. johnboy

johnboy Member

I use Universal Clays for 20 and 28 gauge and use the recipe on the 8 pound power container for reloading with the exception of primers which I use Cheddite.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I didn't mean to steal the thread but initially had problem with 28's but was able to adjust my Mec loader with no problems now but the 20 ga loaders are giving me a fit. I have both a Mec progressive and 366 auto and had the same problem with both. Thanks for the help. Happy New Year. Jackie B.

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

thanks a bunch guys for the correct info....the thread is all yours Jack!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa hs hull with line under hs

once fired win aahs 28 ga hulls