1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AACF Dished Crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by barjr2478, Jan 9, 2017.

1. barjr2478

barjr2478 Active Member

Friends, I am attempting to load Winchester AA compression formed hulls with this data,

16.5 gr Red dot
    CB0118-12 (WT12) Wad
    1 1/8 ounce shot
    Winchester 209 primer
    Loading on a Mec 9000g

This load crimps well with the newer HS hulls but they tend to dish some with the older style hull. Rather than try to switch powder is there another hull with more stack height I can use? Or is there an adjustment that I can make on the loader to keep it from concaving.

2. Tom king

Tom king TS Supporters TS Supporters

There has been a few threads about this on here , I am sure someone we be along to guide you in the right direction

barjr2478 thanked this.
  3. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

check your wad pressure. You should just be seating the wad on the powder. That you can make this fit in a AAHS suggests you may be giving it a fair amount of wad pressure. Back it off entirely.

4. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Uuuuuh, he's not loading it in AAHS. He is loading AACF.

Has happy hour started already?

5. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Did you read his entire post? He said he was getting good crimps with this load in the HS. Did they legalize marijuana in OK?

"This load crimps well with the newer HS hulls but they tend to dish some with the older style hull."

And yes, it is well after happy hour here. Did you look at the clock?

6. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

We best drop this here, before one of us gets hurt.:18::18::18:

7. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Dude, you started it. I'm just trying to help the guy, I don't know what your agenda is.

8. barjr2478

barjr2478 Active Member

I will try backing off the pressure and see if that helps. Was just curious if this particular wad sat lower than the rest. It's the only Winchester style hull that I have used.

9. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I stated my agenda clearly, it is to help the OP. I understand perfectly well what's going on here and did not want to confuse the OP with an overly detailed explanation. My thought was he was using the same die settings for both hulls and likely had enough wad pressure for the HS which was too much for the CF, pushing the wad down too far causing dished crimps.

10. Magnus

Magnus Member

Get an adjustable bar and add a little shot till your happy with the crimp. You could also enlarge the hole in your bar with a die grinder. Most stock bars don't quite throw 1 1/8 oz.

11. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Before you do this, weigh your shot drop. Adding shot generally is a bad idea because it increases pressure. But, since you are using a somewhat anemic 16.5 gr. powder charge, it's probably not a problem. You could go to 18 gr. and still be OK.

12. barjr2478

barjr2478 Active Member

Alliant says at 16.5 gr red dot with 1 1/8 ounce the approximate psi is 10,700. My shot weight is pretty much spot on and I am using a universal charge bar. I did back the wad pressure back one notch I think that did the trick. Still not identical to the HS hull but looks pretty close to factory.

13. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Allow me to suggest there is an error in the Alliant data. They show the same pressure for both 16.5 and 17 grs. of Red Dot. That is not likely. But it suggests the idea of adding shot is not a good on with your load. Try backing the pressure off another notch, and then another notch, until you see similar crimps.

14. barjr2478

barjr2478 Active Member

I was wondering that myself how two different charges could get the same pressure?? I will back it off some more tomorrow see how it does. I figured even with what little pressure I had it on the wad that it would spring back...guess not. Thanks for the help. :arms::1syellow1:

15. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

The "WT12" and clones are a bit shorter than a WAA12 and it's exact copies. A simple change of wads will bring the crimp up to the fabeled height so relished.

barjr2478 thanked this.
  16. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Well, this is interesting information. I wonder how the WT12 compares to the DRA12 in terms of height?

17. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I'll try to remember to measure tonight and let you know.

Nebs thanked this.