1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AAA shooters / 27yarders what is your POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think you're asking a question for which there is no correct answer. We all shoot best with our guns set for a POI that works best with our facial shape, mechanics, the position of our eyes in our head, eyesight, reflexes, guns and loads as well as the distance at which we are shooting at the targets. My suggestion is that you try different POIs and adopt the one(s) that work best for you.

For example, most people who shoot one of my trap guns say they shoot too high for them and my patterns on paper are way above the point of aim. But I can accidentally cover a target at still break it. Sometimes there is no easy explanation for what happens when we shoot a shotgun.

Ed

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thats what i tried to tell Dr. Lonquestions on his thread. It doesn't matter if the "Big Dogs" handed you their guns to shoot, its set up for them. You need one set up for YOU.---Matt

3. philk

philk Member

The more accomplished shooters are out shooting, not reading this board.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I believe this thread was made with a little sarcasim in mind.

5. grntitan

I think "Twinbirds" deleted his original post as well as the others he had posted on this thread. If you had read them you would know it was not sarcasm. He was re-wording and reasking Dr. Manyquestions thread.---Matt

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've asked several of the top shooters their POI many times. I like to watch them in action "intently" to actually see how they put patterns on the targets. Ray Stafford always pops into mind when I hear guys wanting a very high shooting POI. I asked Ray how high his gun patterns and he told me, "it centers the pattern 32 inches above the POA." Watching him shoot, I fully understood how he can shoot such a high pattern as great as he does! Gun hold, vertical gun movement play an important part in what's your best POI. I've always believed it's far easier,(for me) to point my finger (bead) directly AT a moving object than control a set amount of space under it! What works extremely well for Ray doesn't work well at all for me!

I agree with Ed, Dan and others saying POI is an individual thing for many different reasons. One thing we hardly ever hear mentioned is one's cheek bone height? Low cheek boned people can't shoot their high cheek boned buddy's gun because it will shoot way too high and vice versa!

Hap

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I am sorry I ever tried to be nice, it is not a sign of weakness but of compassion. I promise that I will never try to help anyone out on this board,ever again. kind of ruins why we come here doesn't it? You can't fix stupid, but you can let it run loose, and listen to it moan and groan, and take solace in the fact that you just left it run its course. Good bye. I won't be here again, I'll be out on the range. I haven't campaigned in 5 years and I just now got the urge to kick some butt again SEE YA AAA/AA/27

8. Hap MecTweaks

Twinbirds, I sent you a PM guy! Hap

9. grntitan

Someone is wound just a hair too tight.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There was no harm in the question. I'm actually interested in some answers.
    My POI is 13" @ 30 yards, but I've been told I have a F'd up face!

11. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I almost made the cut, AA 26 1/2.

Rich in Indiana

12. grntitan

Dan--That was a very noble apology but i'm not sure it was absolutely needed. I think "Twinbirds" was wearing his feelings a little too high on his shoulders. When i ask a question or make a statement, i assume any and all responses to be fair game. Its just human nature to state ones opinion. I absolutely agree with you in that i don't want anyone to leave on my account. I too am an average shooter at best and was only giving my honest feelings/opinion which we are intitled too on ths public forum. Its all good--Matt

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I recall my first thread (some years back) It was stupido. It was 06 and I was just finding out that I could shoot ATA in MN rather than look for shoots in my home state of WI. And I saw all you guys posting "stuff" and I too was like "Twinbirds" and wondered why you were not out shooting on the weekend. I was treated a bit kinder, or more likely my alligator hide was showing... But I decided to stay. Since that time I have alienated quite a number, sold a few guns to others and made a few friends. TB, come on back... the water gets a bit choppy, but it is not over your head.

Jack

14. Calkidd

This is typical when it comes to forums. It is really hard to get a specific point across or hard to tell if the poster is kiding or being serious. You just have to take things in stride and let it go.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

calkid. smart move on that mec

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Nothing gets by you, does it Jack?..... Dan-O

17. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Did anyone stop to think maybe he wants to know just to see if he might want to try what any of the successful aaa27aaa shooters are doing to make them a good shooter? Beat up someone by asking a legitimate question is getting old.
    chris

18. Norsky

Norsky Member

I've recently begun shooting trap at the age of 67 and have been coming on this site for a number of months. I've been surprised at how caustic many of the responses are. I'm sure most of those making such remarks are great people and would not speak in such a manner if someone asked such a question face to face. The subject was very clear. If you are offended by "newbie" questions, pass by that subject without reading it. No need to read or respond to a subject that irritates you. As the "45" was the great "equalizer" of the old west, so is the anonymity of the internet as evidenced by the keyboard commandos.
    Best regards to all,
    Ray

19. Calkidd

MIA, thanks...I was honestly surprised it was still available. Sorry for the thread jack....moving on.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Norsky,(Ray) how right you are guy! Some post caustic remarks regardless of what's being discussed or asked by new shooters! The one's actually helping promote our sport have seen the same questions many times yet continue answering those same questions time after time. Some, it seems, think it's cute to cut someone down because of poor spelling or grammar for what they may consider a dumb question. More than likely they asked that same question at one time or other themselves!!

Lighten up commandos, U ain't as cute as you think. TB's posts were mostly a lot more informative than the keyboard cowboys ever were! It's no wonder we have so many lookers instead of people participating in discussions here. Discussions that actually help and encourage new shooters to continue in our sport! Shame on U gherks!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.