1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Looking for feedback on reloading the AA hull with the base wad.Any problems lately? Interested in cocktail for reloading them for 1oz or 1-1/8---Haven't heard much about them for awhile---Thanks---sjb---

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AA HS hull, Spolar Gold Wad, 18.4gr Red Dot, 1 oz #8s, any primer.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never has a problem with the AA hulls. Get a good reloading manual like the Alliant manual, load some shells and break some targets.

Pat Ireland

4. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have been reloading the new AA's since they came out. I have had 1 shell where the base wad came loose & migrated about a 1/4 of the way up the hull & 1 other where the hull separated from the brass base. As a precaution, I check the position of the base wad prior to reloading & when shooting, check for a clear barrel before dropping in another shell. When Winchester first introduced the new shell, they ran an ad in the shooting mags showing the condition of the same shell after 10 successive reloadings. Somehow, that ad quietly went away. My feelings are like most on this list, I preferred the old style AA's. John

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What is an example of stright lined hull and tapered lined hull---Which are which---what is the new AAs?---Thanks---sjb---

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

An extra caution is warranrted if reloading on a PW loader. The MEC pushes the base down when priming the hull.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Has anyone had problems with the Mec loading the new AAs?---Thanks---sjb---

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

When did they get so DIRTY ? I shot 75 new AA 1oz. superlite 8s tonight, and my hands got filthy!!

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I use a MEC and haven't had a problem with thecold or new hull.

Win primer, 16.7 grains Red Dot, green Duster wad, 1 oz. 8 shot for singles and first shot of doubles.

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks---What are U using for 2nd shot on dbls and handicap?

11. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Great thing about Rick's 1 1/8 oz load...I use it for everything; singles, handicap,(27yds), and both shots of doubles. KISS ,(Keep It Simple Stupid!)

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I had a problem with a couple of shells out of every hundred or so in which the base of the wad would catch on the top edge of the base wad, causing a bulged case. I switched from Windjammer wads to Claybuster pink 1 oz wads and the problem disappeared. The base of that wad is beveled, which prevents catching on the base wad edge.

Kiv

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kiv- AA hulls are tapered and require a tapered wad. If you put the wrong components in a hull you can get many different types of problems.

Pat Ireland

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The base wad of the new AA is made so the case will conform to the dimensions of the old one.

No component change is necessary.

HM

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

Sent question to alliant about my load and they said it was a nice load. I like it also.
    18.4 gr. green dot,tgt12 wad, 1 oz.#8 shot

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.