1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AA Wads- Difference Between WAA12 & WT12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TURNKEY321, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I was in Scheels today and noticed that they had a sale on the Western Orange WT-12 wads. I didn't know much about the wad, so I grabbed a Hodgdon Reloading Manual. In the manual it states that the wad can be interchanged with the Winchester White WAA-12 wad. The problems is I don't use Hodgdon powder, I use Alliant Powder. According to the Alliant Manual they are treated and listed seperately. I looked at and measured both and they appear identical. Does anyone have any experience with interchanging them or know what the difference is? Tim

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The WT-12 is Winchester's own cheap clone of the WAA12.

Same specs, same loading data, but nowhere near the quality of the other clones, much less Winchester themselves.

I don't know why Alliant does not have a wad equivalency chart, but there it is.

Bob

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The orange WT-12 wads work well as long as the temperature is above 50 degrees. When it gets cooler, they produce very inconsistent results.

Pat Ireland

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

With due respect... shooting in the frigid winters of Chicago, I never found the WT12 wads to present problems with inconsistent loads or fracturing.

The WT12 wad is a bit less pliable than the the AA, Claybuster or Blue Duster clone wads (all of which I have used to some extent) - I think I read somewhere that the plastic may be recycled or a mix of virgin and recycled material.

Irrespective of that point, the WT12 wads have been my "go to" wad for years. I have had great success in using them for my light steel loads as well as lead and I have retrieved hundreds of them for post-shoot analysis. If the price point is right, use them with confidence.

regards to all,

Jay

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jay - My comment was based on data I saw many years ago. Alliant tested the WT12 wad at low temperatures and found very inconsistent chamber pressures. At higher temperatures the chamber pressures were reasonably consistent. It is my opinion that a wad that makes a good seal will produce consistent chamber pressures.

Pat Ireland

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've won quite a few thousands of these in component shoots. Still have about 3000+ of them. I was told from the get go to reload them for warmer weather shooting. That's what I've done and experienced no problems with them. I can't tell you how they shoot in frigid temps. I respect the opinion of my source so I never took that chance to see how they would be in mid January.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have used the WT12s for many years with very good results even in Canada. This year I bought a jug of Alliant Promo powder and I discovered that my 16 yard reloads with WT12 wad have more felt recoil than the same powder drop with Downrange WA-12 wads. I'm using Fiocchi primers and Alliant has a published recipe with the WA-12 wad but not with WT12. With a Win209 primer and WT12 wad 16.5 gr of Red Dot has the same velocity and high PSI as 17 gr Red Dot with the WAA12 wad.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The two wads are not identical, but close. The WT-12 is an economy wad and you usually get what you pay for. The plastic does not seem to be as good as the WAA12. I've tested them in cold weather simulations and found the velocities of the WT12 vary more than the WAA12 at colder temps. The patterns with the WT-12 are off by about 5% from the WAA12 in similar loads. They deteriorate even more at higher velocities. Alliant does have separate listings for these two wads, but Hodgdon says they are interchangeable. If there is data for the WT-12 separately, I would seriously suggest that you use it. They are different in the listings for WInchester and Remington hulls using Red Dot, so Promo is likely affected as well. The 1200 fps loads for Red Dot with 1 1/8 ounce of shot in the AA hulls vary by a grain or so of powder and around 500 PSI.

In summary, the WT-12 are a good 16 yard, or short caps, wad for lighter loads, but they do start to show signs of inconsistency at temperatures around freezing or lower. The patterning I did to compare the WT-12 with the WAA12 and several other wads showed that they do not provide as dense a pattern, especially at higher velocities. I generally use them for skeet or first shot of doubles with homemade or reclaimed shot. They did just a little better than the Claybuster CB-0118 clone of the WT-12, but it could swing the other way in a retest since the difference was well within the expected accuracy of my testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
western wads
western wt12 wad

western wt12 wads

winchester wt12 wads
winchesterwt12 wad
wt 12 orange wads

wt12 wad

wt12 wads